Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: flashes
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:11 pm 

can you use old flashes from film cameras on dslrs, ive got a d90 and sb400 currently but was wondering how well the old flashes work, i think i heard somewhere that some can burn out the electrics in the camera, think my dad uses an old one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:35 pm 

I believe voltages can differ considerably, so it's a bit of a risk. Best idea would be to trigger them remotely if you want to use them.

Some might be safe, but it's a bit hit and miss. I have a very good flash from film days but I'm not willing to risk damage to a camera like the D7000.

Moreover, the modern flashes are designed for and much better integrated with the camera systems.

But remoting would be an option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:25 pm 

This could help:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Canon EF 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM; Canon EF 75-300 mm f/4.0-5.6 II; Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3; Canon EF-S 18-55 IS (broken); Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 USM L IS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:03 pm 

thanks for the link, very helpfull

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:12 pm 

Adding to what already has been said about the trigger voltages (if you shoot Nikon you should be fine), you'll encounter a couple of flashes:

Full manual. These either fire at one power level only, or have a very complex set of dials on the back to determine the exposure

Auto Thyristor. Uses some sort of sensor to "kind of" automate the exposure. You dial in the aperture and ISO you're shooting at, flash takes care of the rest. This works quite well, but is slow to set up.

Full Auto. Often only works in auto mode with one camera brand, the hotshoe has many different pins.