Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:45 am 
D800 has better sensor and more megapixels (24 megapixels is the rumor). Although the mega pixels isn't all that important unless you need it for DTP/commercial agency/printshop minimum requirements.

I rather look at better dynamic range and colordepth noise performance etc which is almost certainly going to be better on the D800 then on the D700.

The D400 will be a D300 with a D7000 sensor basicly. D400 will be better then the D7000 on some details like continuous shooting buffer and fps speed.

You can compare the D400 to the D7000 as you can compare the D300 with the D90. D90 had almost d300 performance for half the price.

Its just things like fps and buffer speed that make the D90/D7000 not a professional camera and a D300/D400 is considered a professional camera.

Last edited by nikonfreak on Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:51 am 

Yeah - my 3 month old D700 is past it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:55 am 
yes,but the D400 & D800 will be very expensive. I don't have enough funds,I'll be looking for a bargain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:58 am 
Nothing wrong with a D700. But there will always be something newer and shinier around the corner. I hope they won't overdo it with the megapixels on the newer models.

Just look at what you need. D300/D700 are more professional cameras in use then a D7000, but their sensors are outdated. So just choose newer sensor and less buffer space OR more buffer space and professional controls with older sensor.

There will be always a compromise (Sensor or bufferspace/professional controls).

Don't forget to spend money on (professional) lenses.

Last edited by nikonfreak on Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:21 pm 

nikonfreak - I love your turn of phrase!

You have to look at what you need - if you regularly print at greater than A3, then I'm sure more megapixals will be beneficial. With 50,000 shots on outdated 12Mp DX and FX bodies I have printed 5 times over that size.

If you regularly crop images, then more megapixels will also be beneficial - I'm sure there are plenty of wildlife photographers that can't wait for the new D400 for that reason alone. They'll be holding out rather than taking a 7000 for the better weather sealing and professional body.

And check out some of the galleries of D40 shooters - now if the previous generation of sensors are 'outdated', I'm surprised the D40 doesn't come with a big key to wind it up!

There will always be those that want the latest and greatest, or you can shoot with what you've got and enjoy!

Last edited by dubaiphil on Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:22 pm 

And don't forget if you're updating your outdated sensor, you'll need to update your RAM and processor, as well as backup storage!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:30 pm 

Anyway - having said all that, if I owned a D200 I would not go for the D7000.

I would pick up a second hand D300 or D300S that some sucker is selling to fund a D400 which would cover the trip, and then look to sell for a D400 when availability and price of the D400 improves further down the line.

You've got a reliable body for the trip and won't lose out too much in the meantime.

Alternatively, as it's a honeymoon and all disposable income will subsequently be subject to intense scrutiny just get whatever you can afford!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:23 pm 
Razvan wrote:
It's an almost perfect full frame camera...I don't care that it isn't trendy anymore. :)
I mean,how amazing a D800 could be?

what isn't perfect about the d700?

nikonfreak wrote:
D800 has better sensor and more megapixels (24 megapixels is the rumor). Although the mega pixels isn't all that important unless you need it for DTP/commercial agency/printshop minimum requirements.

I rather look at better dynamic range and colordepth noise performance etc which is almost certainly going to be better on the D800 then on the D700.

The D400 will be a D300 with a D7000 sensor basicly. D400 will be better then the D7000 on some details like continuous shooting buffer and fps speed.

You can compare the D400 to the D7000 as you can compare the D300 with the D90. D90 had almost d300 performance for half the price.

Its just things like fps and buffer speed that make the D90/D7000 not a professional camera and a D300/D400 is considered a professional camera.

how could you be comparing something that doesn't exist to a camera that puts money in people's pockets everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:48 pm 
It exists. You just cannot buy it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:55 pm 
aaannnndddd... it's in the argument because?

I'm just not getting it.

My loch ness monster is bigger than your elephant. So it's gonna be better.

we just haven't found it yet.

(with my luck they'll release the dx00 when I press submit on this post)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:12 pm 
The point is that there will always be something newer and shinier around the corner. Some people like to wait for it some will just buy what is available now. But the next generation digital cameras will always be better then the current ones. Its getting better and better but its not analogue quality yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:32 pm 

Oh dear!

Some people take photos, others earn money from photos, others talk the talk.

No offense but if you are going to talk the talk, at least back it up with practical knowledge or even examples.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:12 pm 
I am not going to take part in a "mine is this big how big is yours" discussion.
Some of the best photographers in the world still shoot analogue and that has its reasons....

So far every generation of digital camera became better. I dont have to prove that its just common knowledge.

Still want prove. Go shoot with an analogue 35mm camera and notice how good the pictures come out with correct exposure etc.... Make some pics with a digital camera (in RAW) and notice how screwed up the exposure, contrast etc... is straight out of the camera compared to the analogue camera.

With a little work you still can get great results with digital of course but its not like in the old days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:42 am 
nobody's was downing film.

we were talking about how you're comparing specs to something that isn't even released yet.

you don't see the ridiculousness in that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:13 am 

Nikonfreak - here is a word of advice. Again

Think

Your typing before thinking has got under the skin of people on this forum repeatedly.

Think, think again, then think some more, then consider typing your thoughts.

Regurgitating spec sheets and passing off advice from others as your own is not big, or clever.

So please think, think think.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next