Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:24 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:48 pm 

I'd go for the D7000. The D300(s) sensor is outdated by today's standards.
And image quality is what matters most for me.
You might have other priorities, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:51 pm 

Personally, I would pick the D300s over the D7000 any time. I have worked with both cameras and taken thousands of images with both of them. The D300 was my main camera in the studio and I kept using it after the D700 came out because I prefered its skin tones. Now, I never updated to the D300s, because it was litterally the same camera and I consider Nikon's video implementation a joke. Since the "s" is an improved version of its predecessor, I guess I can speak for it from my D300 based point of view. If you disagree then stop reading.

Some nitpicking
Pixels
Yes, the D7000 has four extra megapixels. So if you are after maximum resolution ... there is your camera.

Signal to noise ratio
I consider their noise performance more or less the same, but I prefer the D300's grain. To me it looks more "natural". If you want minimum noise photograph at base ISO. Everything above ISO 400 will produce noise and to me ISO 1600 is the limit of what's acceptable. On both cameras that is.

Dust/moisture resistance
The D7000's body is partially made of magnesium and weather sealed. It has quite a robust feel to it, but I managed to damage it after just three days of use. A 200 euro mistake I will never make again. If you want the tougher body pick the D300s. I dropped it on rocks, used it in severe rain and had it attached to my harness when photographing rock climbing.

AF performance
One word: D300s.

Buffer
If you photograph sports or any kind of fast action you'll want the D300s. Else both cameras will do just fine.

Metering
It works on both cameras. I don't know if the D7000's is superior or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:55 pm 

At base ISO the D700 has clearly more dynamic range than the D300(s).
I'm not satisfied with the noise of my D300 at ISO 200.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:30 pm 

Dynamic range is a good point. The D7000 suprised me quite a bit in that matter. Actually it blew me away.
I think it has more dynamic range than the D3x. At base ISO both cameras produce color noise in underexposed areas, but so does the D3s. The larger dynamic range benefits the D7000, of course.

Dynamic range example
Only a snapshot (D7000, 16-85@16mm); straight out of Lightroom from a 14-bit RAW file -- just added a little contrast and that's it. I doubt I would have gotten that much detail out of the clouds using a D300(s).
This is getting close to where medium format backs were about six years ago. Of course, the image still lacks tonality in the underexposed areas like the grass at the bottom, but still bloody amazing for an APS-C DSLR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:58 pm 
Go buy a 100 euro second hand analogue body if you dont like the photoshop hassle and problems of digital photos. gives much better pictures then any D7000 or D300s too.

Otherwise buy CatureNX2. CaptureNX2 controlpoint technology fixes anything you want anywhere on the photo, even little local problems like the gras area on your photo. Digital photography came from a long way, but still has a long way to go to match analogue. Well digital we can afford i mean, not 35000 euro hasselblad mid formats of course.

Lightroom is fast but the lack of controlpoint technology is what makes it not as good as capturenx2.

Last edited by nikonfreak on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:07 pm 

Re dynamic range: while the DxOMark results sometimes surprise they definitely reinforce the point Thomas raised:
Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:42 pm 

Well I managed to hold a D7000 today and I must say I was pleasantly surprised.

It felt a tad small in my hands but it was lacking a vertical grip which I am used to. The shutter was nice and quite and the controls / buttons, weren't as foreign as I though they would be.

Unfortunately I could take a look at a D300s at the same time to compare, which I would like to do before I make my mind up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:31 pm 

Lee, your "Unfortunately I could take a look at a D300s at the same time" should read "Unfortunately I could NOT take a look at a D300s at the same time" methinks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:23 pm 

Opps, yes you are right. I could not grab a look at a d300s. Well spotted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:36 am 

I'll put my 2¢ in...

If I recall, you do a fair amount of astrophotos with your D200, and when it comes to astrophotos image quality is probably the most important aspect. You probably won't be handling the camera as often as with other types of photography, so ergonomics are less important. Also, you'd have no need for autofocus. The D7000 may be a bit skimpier on body build, continuous shots, AF, etc, but it beats the D300s by quite a bit IQ wise (especially at the higher ISOs). You could always use noise reductions or stack images in DSS, but it's always good to have the camera with the highest IQ.
Of course, I'm assuming that astrophotos aren't the only kind of photos that you take, but I'm assuming that it's your primary field.

If you REALLY want all of the features of the D300s, I'd wait for the D400. The D400 will have equal IQ to the D7000, plus a better AF system, faster shooting, etc. Even if you don't buy the D400, chances are that we'll see a pretty big price drop on the D300s after the D400 is announced.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:40 pm 

Hi Evan, thanks for the input.

I wont be planning on using my new camera for AP work. I ultimately want to get a dedicated CCD for this, but in the meantime will probably retire the D200 to dedicated astro works (whether that includes a full spectrum mod Im not sure.)

With regards to the D400 do we know when this is going to be released?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:50 pm 

Regarding the D400, we'll either see it later this month or sometime before the end of the year. Nikon's actually scheduled a press release on August 24th, and it's predicted that Nikon will either announce their mirrorless camera or two new DSLRs (probably the D3s replacement and the D700 replacement, however some people think that the D400 will be announced that day).

Here's what Nikon Rumors has to say in regards to the D400...

Quote:
In addition to Nikon’s press event on August 24th, Sony is also expected to announce its new a77 camera on the same date. This is another reason why we may not see a Nikon D300s replacement this month – Sony will want to take all the glory with its new 24MP sensor.

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:27 am 
I gave up on the idea of a D300(s),the D7000 is years ahead in the image quality department. And the autofocus is really nice & snapy too.
I must test it indoors,because the AF speed in low light conditions is very important for me. So,looks like the D7000 is next on my wishlist. Or maybe I could make the jump to a D700,but that would imply a lot of aditional expenses.

Last edited by Razvan on Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:38 am 

Razvan - the D700 is SO 2008!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:23 am 
It's an almost perfect full frame camera...I don't care that it isn't trendy anymore. :)
I mean,how amazing a D800 could be?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next