Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:17 am 
So you guys are saying nikon (this is still the nikon topic right?) will release some newer models with worse performance and a higher price tag the the cheaper older models? Is that really what you think? really?

Explain to me who is going to buy that?

It is either going to be better or worse then the older models. And chances are pretty high that it will be better. Its just evolution. Does not matter if its LCD tv's or cameras or ipod/ipads. There is room for improvement and as long as there is room for improvement the newer models will be better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:31 am 

Try dpreview.com - you'll fit right in! This is a friendlier forum.

No one is questioning evolution of technology. Just the inherant need for the latest and greatest. If a new model comes out then it doesn't mean an older model will not be able to take photos anymore.

But it is the way you convey your opinion, where it is your own or inherited after being proven wrong previously, which is the issue here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:52 am 
I didn't say the older models are useless. I said:

"Nothing wrong with a D700. But there will always be something newer and shinier around the corner"

For example: a Nikon D90 is still an excellent camera and if you are low on budget I would recommend anyone to consider it and take a look at it.

A D7000 may be a better camera but it is also almost twice the price of a D90. So you get what you pay for.

I never said that you "have" to get the newest and latest. Its up to the person that wants to buy a camera to decide. It basicly comes down to: do I get the bargain of the century older models with a compromise on the sensor, or do I spent a lot of extra money on the newer models (soon to be released according to rumors throughout the industry) for basicly almost the same camera with a newer sensor.

I didn't say you HAVE to buy a newer model camera. I just said it will be better. But also more expensive.

Topic starter is trying to find out whats best for him. Only he can decide.
D7000 has better sensor, D300 is a more professional camera (its part of the nikon professional user program: http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/pro/Pro_NPU.page).

For "MY" needs i would choose a D7000. But every photographer has different demands or whishes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:45 pm 

Right, time to get back on track please.

A member of another forum did a bit of research when he was in a similar dilemma (but for another nameless brand) and, if I have interpreted him correctly, he suggested it was better to buy a second hand, slightly older model as it will cost less than what you will lose in depreciation on a newer model.

So, I have had a look around at some second hand D200's and I can pick on up fairly cheap. I even had a look at some second hand D3's and could even pick up one of those for around the same price as a D300s.

I guess the dilemma I have is I am trying to compare the D300s and D7000 (which is fine and I think the D7000 wins on most counts) but I havent really comapred either camera with my current D200. I think this should be my next step.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:32 pm 
Seconds hand is an option too. I believe dubaiphil mentioned it too.
Just make sure you can still make enough clicks with it. Sometime thy guanatee the shutter for 150.000 photos. And after that i am not sure what will happen. So if you buy a second hand with 200.000 clicks on it I am not sure if that will be a good idea.

But there is always the gadget freaks that buy the latests camera and 3 weekss later its catching dust. So if you can get one of those it should be fine. If you are going second hand you might as well buy a D700 full frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:01 pm 
the way a d-hundred series sensor will handle strobing is different from how a d90 or a d7000 will handle strobed light.

If you intend to do any heavy strobing you might consider the pro body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:14 pm 

Ok, so here's an update on where I am.

I've watched, read and re-watched and re-read the reviews here (BTW excellent reviews as always Gordon :D) on both the D7000 and D300s.

The key differences that stand out for me are:

The D7000 doesn't have a flash port thus ruling out studio work. Immediately this doesn't bother me. I would like to start studio work in the future but this wont be for another couple of years or so.

The buffer may not be as good as the D300s i.e. it fires at 6 fps for a couple of seconds and then drops to about 1 fps, whereas the D300s seems to last longer. This initially concerned me as I like to go to air shows. However, thinking about my past experience if I do use the continuous shooting mode its often when the Red Arrows are doing an opposition pass of Gypo split and I vary rarely have the shutter depressed for more than a couple of seconds. Outside of this I dont hardly use continuous shooting so this should be ok. Either camera is going to be an improvement over the D200 and I think the extra fps the D300s offer over the D7000 wont bother me.

The 2 custom modes (U1 and U2) looks like a great addition and something that I think I would use a lot i.e. to have a set of settings for macro work and another set for landscapes looks like a benefit.

Dual card slots is great. Initially I was a bit concerned with switching from CF to SD but I think I was concerned about nothing really. Our HD camcorder uses SD cards so why wouldn't they be suitable for a camera.

I think the fact that the D7000 has fewer focus points than the D300s doesnt concern me. Both have more than my D200 and will be a vast improvement. Looking at how the D7000 seemed to perform in the video reviews looked fine.

100% viewfinder coverage is great.

On top of this I have handled the D7000 and it surprisingly felt ok as I was concerned the button positions would be too foreign to me coming from a D200 but this wasnt the case. It did feel a tad small but I will be adding a vertical grip.

So, all in all, I have decided to get the D7000, save a few pennies and feel confident I have a good camera that will last me a while.

So, alls that left to say it thanks for all the advice and debate and thanks to Gordon for some great reviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:57 pm 
D7000 can handle the latest generation SDcards with 45Mbs speed so thats fast enough. But it stills gets buffer problems after 10 RAW files continous.

I think its some kind of bug in the continous mode setting. that it does not write to the card until the buffer is full because even with 2 fastests cards in the camera it still get stuck at 10 frames. And you would expect that it would be able to write at least 2 files in the meantime (1 to each card).

Hopefully they fix it in a firmware update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:02 pm 

Well, I've gone and brought a D7000. Got a good deal too, thanks to the chaps at Best Buy in town :D

Hopefully I can try it out in anger tomorrow if the Red Arrows fly at the Bristol Balloon fiesta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:34 pm 

Good job - enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:36 pm 

Enjoy your new D7000 Lee! Can't wait to see some images that you shot with it!

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams