Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: D300s or D7000.......
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:59 pm 

Hi Guys,

Been a while since I've looked in this particular part of the forum but I have a query that maybe someone can help with.

I have a D200 and Im looking to get a new body. I am off to New Zealand at the end of the year on honeymoon and I just know my D200 is gonna go puff mid way through so Im looking to make a pre-emptive upgrade.

The problem is, however, I cannot decide between the D300s or D7000. Both seem great cameras, and everything I read seems to have the D7000 coming out marginally on top, but something keeps drawing me back to the D300s.....

So, thoughts would be much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:25 pm 
Just look at the D300 if you really really need anything what is on there. better exposure compensation (more steps) things like that. Its probably the very little extras that make the D300 a little bit more professional but not all that much since you wont even use the maximum settings most of the time anyway.

I probably would go for the D7000 because of better matrix meter system better sensor and thing like that. I think buffer size on the D300 is just has bad as the D7000 i think (not 100% sure).

Some people even switch from a D300 to a D7000.
D7000 also has better high ISO performance and dualcard slots for sd cards (also 45MB/s cards are supported).

D300 supports CFcards, D7000 does not, so that make the D300 a bit more professional i guess (no professional camera is using SDcards, they all use CFcards).

Also maybe you can look at this comparison story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-YJdr6eVAI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:06 am 
Admittedly it may seem as if there is only modest differences between the two models.

I'd say the D300/s is a more rugged construction. D7000 is better at high-ISO noise control. It all depends on what you find is more important for your shooting experience.

I like the D300 because it's a workhorse.

Tough call!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:35 am 

Hi Lee,

Congratulations!

Not being a Nikonian I'm intrigued that the D300s isn't an automatic upgrade for you given you currently have a D200. Is weather-sealing important to you? It might be useful to have, particularly if you are getting out and about in Fiordland, even in summer!!! How do the D300s and D7000 compared in terms of how they feel in your hands?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:09 am 
They are both weathersealed actually so just look at the differences not at the similarities.

Try to find out how the Buffer holds at Continious shooting for example at 8fps on the D300s, is it doing that for 1 second or 3 second or 10 seconds without getting into buffer trouble.

Photo quality wise the D7000 is better. So just look at the usability advantages on the D300s. How it holds in your hands, placements of the buttons, perhaps extra professional features, how heavy it is, things like that.
Is there something extra that you really want or need. Maybe a bigger viewfinder or something like that (Cause viewfinder on the D7000 its a bit tight, so maybe D300S has a better one maybe?). I mean viewfinder is usable on the D7000 but you really have to work to get a good view, move you eye just a little bit and you can't read the bottom bar with iso info etc anymore. So "IF" the D300S has a bigger size viewfinder that would be something better of course.

These are all things that you have to decide for yourself what is important to you.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon_D300S-vs-Nikon_D7000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:43 am 

nikonfreak wrote:
They are both weathersealed actually so just look at the differences not at the similarities....

Fighting talk. :lol: Maybe you didn't like my answers in your Still confused about Crop factor with DX lenses thread. :P

Yes, you are right but possibly only to a point. According to Nikon USA the D300s features "advanced dust and moisture countermeasures" while the D7000 features "superior weather and dust seals". But hey, I'm a Canonite so I have to rely on Gordon's reviews when thinking "Nikon" and trying to fathom the difference between advanced and superior. :roll: He said in his D7000 verdict page "if you're going to be really rough with your camera, we'd recommend going for a true semi-pro model with 100% magnesium alloy construction and full weatherproofing". Good enough for me. 8)

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:28 pm 
I would wait for the D400,since the AF system in the D300 is better & it will inherite it + the great sensor in the D7000.
If I would to pick now,I think I'll pick the D7000. It may have a slower AF than the D300(& other stuff that are found in a semi-pro camera),but the image quality is much better & that is very important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:13 pm 
Mr. Anderson your post just suggested that only the D300s has weatherseal. So thats all, its no fight talk, You are just writing very confusing posts. Dont blame me for that please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:46 pm 

Hi nikonfreak,

No, I don't blame you. With over eight and a half thousand contributions to the forum I guess I've confused a lot of people over the years. I didn't mean to imply that the D7000 doesn't have a measure of weather sealing so you were right to draw attention to the fact that it does. On the other hand I think that you were wrong in your own post, in light of Gordon's comments, to seem to imply that the D7000 has weather sealing as good as that on the D300s. He's tested both which is something I think I'd be correct in assuming that neither of us has done.

By the way, the name's Bob. I do answer to "Mr. Andersson" if forced but that seems awfully reminiscent of the days long gone when my Mother used to call me "Robert" when I was naughty. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:15 pm 
Knowing a lot about photography and knowing how to explain it to others or write it down properly are two different things. There are a lot of very smart people out there that can build rockets, write amazing computer software and things like that but they cant write a manual about it or explain it to someone that doesnt have a clue.

I Worked a lot with indian computer programmers. very very very smart people. Those guys explaining it to others was a complete disaster.

So i am not judging your Knowledge Bob anderson. It is just that you dont write it down clear enough. Lots of people cant, it does not mean you dont know anything about it. Its just the way you write it down that is not very good. I have seen it couple of times in your posts. I dont want to offend you or anything but thats the way i see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:32 pm 

Nope, not offended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:46 pm 

Thank you all for the input.

The comparison link is great and helped me a lot, thanks nikonfreak :)

As for some of the things listed in the link here are my thoughts so far.

Im not bothered about movie ability as I wont use the camera for that (will be getting a dedicated HD camcorder.)

Same comment for video AF and continuous focus whilst filming

Lower noise at higher ISO seems compelling (Although it looks like either camera will be an improvement over the D200)

The comments on better image quality and colour depth always strike me as being subjective and not understanding any science behind any comparison I struggle to quantify and rationalise in my thoughts.

Cheaper - always a bonus

Smaller and lighter - doesnt really bother me all too much as I plan to get a vertical grip and the camera is rather sizeable anyway (when looking at other cameras around)

I think the issue of weatherproofing and ruggedness is important to me as I like to be confident in my kit. That isn't to say I throw it about but I like to be confident it will take a knock and I guess travelling to NZ could see some relatively harsh environments.

@Bob, thanks for the congrats. I guess on the face of it the D300s should seem like an automatic upgrade from the D200 but this is why I am struggling.

Having looked at the cameras and the issue of ergonomics the D300s appears to have a similar (if not the same) layout as the D200 thus I should find the switch to this easier than the D7000 which appears to have a different layout.

Using CF cards is good as I already have a stock of cards however to switch to SD wont add too much cost (I guess I would need to get a stock of SD's anyway)

Jumping from 10mp to 16mp sounds great and I can see the benefit but I must admit using 10mp has seen me alright to date and Ive made some relatively large prints.

I guess its a close call between cameras and I also guess I have a slight stigma towards the D7000 due to the layout of the controls and the layout of the top dial compared to what my D200 has and what the D300s would have.

@Razvan - there have been rumours about the D400 running back to 2008, the latest rumour was for it to be released in the first half of this year - well thats been and gone!

Oh dear, I thought I was getting close to a decision....not quite sure now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:44 pm 
What lenses do you have. The D7000 really likes good lenses. I mean it must have good lenses. If you put a cheap lens on it you wont be very happy with the results.

So at least a prime lens or 16-85mm ED DX or 70-300mm ED VR kind of quality lenses is what you want. Those are not really professional lenses of course but you want at least the best amateur lenses a couple of steps up from the kitlens or prime lenses on the D7000.

But since you own a D200 I think you must own some decent glass too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:57 pm 

I have the following Lenses:

Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR
Nikon 105mm f2.8 Macro
Nikon 28-70mm (kit lens)
Nikon 50mm f1.8 prime
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6
Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO
Sigma 170-500mm f5-6.3 APO

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:40 pm 
Sounds like a couple of great lenses. At least the nikkors, they are professional grade lenses. Dont know the sigmas I only buy nikkor myself.

The D7000 will really like that quality lenses. D7000 is a bit picky on what glass you use but those will do just fine.

here is a list of what is considered professional gear by Nikon (The D7000 isn't on the list, the D300S is).
http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/pro/Pro_NPU.page

Last edited by nikonfreak on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.