Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:23 pm 

Hey all,

I just bout a 50mm f/1.8 series E (1978) lens for my D200. I'm wondering if I should bother putting a UV filter on this lens. The Hoya filter uv(c) for this lens is 20 bucks, which is around half of what the lens cost. First I thought if it's cheaper than the lens, then technically it's worth it. But I also have to factor in the probability that I'd "use" the filter, i.e. damage it. Replacing the lens would be relatively cheap and easy. Also, there is the reduction in quality when putting on any filter, albeit a small one with this type of filter, but a reduction none the less. What would you do?

Trevor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:54 pm 

Filters have saved lenses before. Personally I would not bother buying a filter just to protect a lens this cheap. Well, I don't put protective filters on any of my lenses, but that's something everyone has a different opinion on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:57 pm 
Hi Trevor,

I recommend getting the filter. Economics aside, the filter is a great deal easier to clean than the lens glass itself. Salt from the ocean, calcium deposits from rain, grease from accidentally touching the glass, dust, a lick from a friendly dog, a baby' s sneeze etc.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:04 am 

Yes, the lens is cheap but it doesn't make the filter any more expensive. I have filters on all mu lenses for protection, although I do standardise - 55mm (from mmy old Minolta days, with steo up filters frojm 52mm as necessary) and 67mm. Al in all, it cuts down on the expense, and seeing how my old finters end up looking, I'm glad the lenses are pristine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:34 am 

I'd definitely recommend using a filter, as Ernie mentioned filters have saved lenses before, as they did to mine.

As you can see, the filter is totally cracked and unrepairable but the lens only has a little dent that I'll get repaired. My UV filter saved my 200mm f/4 lens.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:23 pm 

The question is of course, if the filter wasn't on, what would the damage to the lens have been? Filters are much thinner, and much less sturdy than lenses, especially from side impacts (the aluminium just bends, craching the filter)