Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:17 am 
Wow, thank you for the hot replies.

I never thought about 'flicker'; always just read written reviews. So what you mean is that there could be some "gap" between a lens' specification and actual performance, right? I better search up some photos now!

Also, the 17-55 Nikkor was realeased about 5 years ago if I'm correct. Do you think there's any possibility that a new, better opticed lens (with a similar zoom), could come out anytime soon? If so, the price of this DX lens might drop a little...

Thank you again for the hot discussions Camera Labbers!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:17 am 
Specs dont say really all that much. You can have a F2.8 lens but that does not really mean it performs any good at at F2.8. It also does not say all that much about the bokeh or how sharp your picture is or how much CA you have.

thats why I like to look at pictures from other people how the lens performs and I just look at the overal result of the photo.

Also look at the lens gallery we have on this forum with some excellent examples of what a lens can do (some even straight out of the camera with no photoshop tricks).
http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7148

On good reviews they test the lens at different apertures to test center and corner sharpness. This is nice to know but since I dont photograph testcharts I also look at real life results from regular people.

It usually does not take me much time to figure out if a lens is the one i want or not. usually its all great sharp pictures from all users or its all soft pictures for example.

And then after that I gonna read about build quality of the lens. So far I always ended up with nikkor lenses.

I actually rather want a Analogue mid format Hasselblad, but thats another story....