Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Help me decide, PLEASE!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:11 am 
Hi all, I'm a newbie to this site. I have been in the market, ok more like dreaming of a new lens for about 6 months. I shoot a D60 currently and am having a hard time deciding which lens to purchase next. I am looking to use it mostly for shooting candids and portraits of my kids. I have picked out the following, but am stuck as to which one to buy. I LOVE the price of the Nikkor f1.8 35mm lens. I am also thinking of the Nikkor f1.8 50mm lens. But, I can't decide between the two.

I would love to get the Nikkor f1.4 50mm lens, but that is currently out of my price range.

Oh, and one silly question....how noticeable is the lack of VR in the lens?

Thanks! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:32 am 

I assume you have something like the 18-55?

See what focal lengths you commonly use for portraits. EXIF should show you.

I'd pick the 50/1.8 over the 1.4. Excellent image quality, much cheaper and you probably wouldn't be using 1.4 much (very shallow depth of field at 1.4).

If VR gives 3 stops, then f2 on a non-VR lens is equivalent to f5.6 on a VR lens. Basically, you won't notice it. For low light, I'd use a tripod anyway. Then you don't have to keep squinting through the viewfinder and you're bettr able to catch that elusive expression and converse with the subject!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:33 am 
VR is not really necessary,

I have heard of a rule that if you use shutterspeeds at least as fast as the focal lenght you will be fine. Sometimes I even shoot at 300mm without VR without problems (handheld).

So if you use 50mm lens then to be on the safe side use shutterspeeds of 1/100 secs. (twice the focal lenght) and you should be fine. For photographing moving subjects such as people you probably want a faster shutterspeed anyway.

For the lens, what i have read in reviews the nikkor 50mm F1.8 is an excellent lens and only needs to be stopped down very little to get the best sharpness. I think from F2.5/F2.8 you are on the sweetspot. Its a FX lens so if you mount it on a DX body you only use the best part of the lens (the middle) anyway.

Only buy the nikkor 50mm F1.4 if you really need F1.4. Sometimes I see people get a bit carried away with apertures and it ruins the photo since the subject will be only half sharp at F1.4. In that case a F2.8 aperture would be better so whole subject is sharp and still have good bokeh.

Nikkor 35mm F1.8 is also an oke lens. Probabaly not as good as the 50mm but still better than any zoom, but if you shoot pics indoors you want to go with the 35mm. 50mm is too much range for indoors. 35mm would be much better for indoors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:46 am 

Well the 35mm f1.8 is better than any zoom at f1.8-2.5. From f2.8 onwards, the 24-70mm will flatten it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:34 pm 
Zoom lenses cant do F1.8-F2.5 aperture ranges. I dont know the 24-70mm lens but it would be pretty though to beat the 35mm prime at F3.5.

But a 24-70mm F2.8 is 1500 euro and a 35mm prime is like 180 euro. So i bet you have more fun for the money with the 35mm.

Last edited by nikonfreak on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:35 pm 
Thanks for all of the replies and info appreciate it.

So now I'm even more torn between the f1.8 50mm and the f1.8 35mm. I do shoot both in and out. However, I do use 50mm most often. I realize that I could use the 50mm outside, but will have to sacrifice some things.

My next purchase/gift will be a new tripod. I am currently using my Dad's 1980's Ambico. Wouldn't be all that bad, except he didn't store it very well and parts are rusted and don't move as fluid as they used too! But the price was right!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:57 pm 
I would go with the 50mm F1.8 cause its a slightly sharper better lens. Portraits with shoulders will be Possible indoors I think. But if you want more then just the head make sure you are in a big room or outside so you can walk around to zoom with your feet.

You will learn to think how to make the shot anyway you are kind of forced to with a prime lens. You will learn what to shoot and what not to. Some things cant be done because of restrictions in the angle of view of the lens. You will learn to make choices in composition. Its not difficult the lens will force you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:25 pm 
Thank you. That is the one I was leaning towards. Now, I need to present my case to my hubby to get it bought!
:wink: