Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:20 am 
Hi guys

Can anyone here tell me if this lens will mount on my D200?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:19 am 

Hey, Wolfie, welcome to the forums!

I thought that the EL-Nikkor series of lenses were enlarging lenses for the darkroom (I sold my older one a few months ago), I don't see why you'd want one for a digital body, plus it wouldn't mount anyways.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:52 am 
Hi EvanK

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply....I kinda knew it wouldn't mount but a friend told me I could possibly get a convert for it....not to worry I will just sell it on....
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:13 pm 

Hello,

Unless you plan to do any work with film sometime soon I'd sell it. If you think about it, enlarging lenses kind of work the opposite of the way that you standard camera lens would. While camera lenses help form light onto a strip of film or a digital sensor, enlarging lenses project it off of the film. Back in the good ol' days of film, when you needed to make a print of your negative what you did was you shined a light through the strip of film, and the light then shined through the enlarging lens and onto a sheet of photo paper to form an image.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:48 pm 

Not only that, if you could get it to mount, it's only optimised for the close distances you find on an enlarger.

I believe that if you can get one mounted it's good for macro, but everything will be manual, and the lens doesn't have a focusing mound, so you would need to rig something up there too.

Of interest, the screw thread is the same as for the Leica screw thread camera lenses. In times past, people would unscrew the camera lens and use it in their enlarger.