Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:49 am 
Thank you so much everyone. This has helped very much!
I still like the look of the 40mm, as the macro ability really attracts me, and the range is the 'best of both worlds'.

As for the telephoto, the 70-300mm looks great, however I have recently seen the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 for £170 more than the 70-300mm. Is it worth this extra money? I don't think I will be shooting any indoor sports, just outdoor sports, wildlife, aviation possible and other general purpose uses.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:07 pm 
If you want to use it for wildlife I would prefer as long a lens as possible.
I have a nikkor 70-300mm and sometimes even 300mm is not enough.

I would prefer more light sensitive lenses too but if 200mm doesnt come close enough whats the point of having it. trust me you regret buying 200mm for wildlife and zoo photography. You need 300mm range (most wild life/zoo shots i make are over the 200mm range).

At F5.6 300mm you can achieve decent bokeh anyways. Below photo was made at F5.3 at 195mm with my 70-300mm VREDGII (or whatever its called, to many letters in the name).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:44 pm 
Nice meerkat photo! What body did you use to shoot this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:48 pm 
I am really struggling to decide between the 35mm f1.8 AF-S, or the new 50mm f1.8 AF-S. Which would you go for and why? Please help :) Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:03 pm 

It all really comes down to which equivalent focal length you prefer. The 35mm will give you an equivalent focal length of 50mm on your D3100, while the 50mm will give you 75mm. It depends weather you prefer the 50mm or 75mm focal length, 50 is probably better for all situations while 75 is better for portraits. What I'd do is set your 15-55 to 35mm and shoot with only that focal length for a while, simulating a 35mm prime and later switch to 50mm. Whichever focal length you prefer shooting with should be your next lens.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:11 am 
@ronaldphoto

I did make the meerkat photo with A Nikon D7000 and a Nikkor 70-300m VR ED G.

For your prime lens questions:
For indoors photography like in your home or in a restaurant I would definitely recommend the 35mm.

For "walk around outside" photography or maybe big museums I would probably rather go for the 50mm F1.8. But that didn't exist when i bought my 35mm F1.8.

Last edited by nikonfreak on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:18 am 
@evanK.

35mm lenses are 35mm focal length no matter what body you mount it on so please stop confusing people.

35mm is 35mm. 50mm is 50mm. There is no magic trick that turns a 35mm into a 52mm or something or a 50mm into a 75mm Sorry it does not exist.

A 50mm lens on a DX body simply makes it crop the foto, the subject is not going to get magnified any closer as it would with a 75mm lens. It just looks like a 50mm photo made on a FX camera but then the photo edges would be cropped in photoshop 1,5 times.

Focal length of the lens is not influenced at all. It is just the diafragma and the crop that is influenced not the magnification.

I wonder how people think 50mm becomes 75mm because they obviously dont own the lens if they think that.