Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:58 pm 

Hey all,

Just wondering if the lens on this film camera will work with my D200. I realize the autofocus feature is out, but I'd still be interested in it. A quick google search tells me that the Nikon EM 35mm has a F type mount, my D200 also has a f-mount. The obvious answer is that yes, it would fit. But I just want to be sure.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Nikon-EM-35mm-SLR-Ca ... 2c5dd26614

Trevor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:23 am 

Hi Trevor,

I'm a bit out of my comfort zone when it comes to the Nikon side of things but the Wiki article Nikon F-mount does indicate a need for caution:
    non-AI lenses (manufactured prior to 1977) can cause mechanical damage to later model bodies unless they are modified to meet the AI specification
I think the lens was post 1977 but you might want to make absolutely sure. :?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:25 am 
Yes it will fit. Even better, your D200 is capable of metering with it. I own one, but I prefer to use it with my film cameras since they have much better screens for manual focusing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:00 am 

It should mount just fine, and considering that you have the D200 the lens should have no problem metering as well (anything in that series and above plus the D7000 should meter with old AI and AI-S lenses fine, I use mine often).

Of course, as James mentioned, you'll be manual focusing but with the focusing guide of the D200 (the little green bot, I'm not sure exactly what it's called) but it can be a help. For the most precise manual focusing, you'll either need to use a full frame DSLR/35mm Film SLR, or switch to live view to focus, although considering that the D200 isn't equipped with it, it's a bit of a problem. I find myself using LV often to manual focus with my AI-S lenses.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:07 am 

Thanks for the help guys, but do any of you care to comment on Bob's reply?

"non-AI lenses (manufactured prior to 1977) can cause mechanical damage to later model bodies unless they are modified to meet the AI specification"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:27 am 

Well, Nikon has a few different type of lenses. Before 1977, Nikon used the original Nikon F mount, which was their first bayonet type mount. It was introduced in 1959 to replace screw on lenses, and is sometimes referred to as pre-AI. By 1977, they changed the mount type to AI (Auto Indexing, meaning that you didn't have to rotate the lens' aperture ring to its fastest aperture before you begin shooting, it calibrated the aperture automatically on older Nikons). The original F mount type lenses mounted on Nikon's film bodies, but I believe because they have a certain ridge on the lens they can damage the mounts of digital SLRs (except the D3100 and D5100 series).

If you want to use an original F mount lens on your digital body, what you'll need to do is get the lens converted to AI with an AI conversion kit (although I believe that Nikon has stopped selling them, you can still buy them online). Some shops can get the lens converted for you, that's what I did to my 50mm f/2 lens so that it would mount without damage to my D7000.

Hope that I helped,
-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:16 pm 

Thanks for the detailed replies, guys.

Just have a look at this source:

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html

doesn't seem to be any pre-AI lenses that were a 50mm f/1.8, or am I not reading this right? A lot of the tutorials seem to be a way to make the non-ai lens an ai-lens. I'm honestly not that interested in this, I just don't want it to damage my lens. I am an engineer and have access to a fairly extensive machine shop, so I'm sure I'd be able to make some modification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:03 pm 

In addition to this, I have another question if it's not too far off the topic of this thread. The auto indexing feature - is it only to reduce the need to cycle to aperture ring after mounting the lens?

Will my D200 be able to meter the lens, i.e. used it in aperture priority mode? I presume this would be the case, and when I close the aperture and allow less light in, the camera will compensate. Seems the way it should be but I just wanted to make sure.

Finally, I'm guessing my camera will not be able to know what setting the lens is on, and furthermore I would not be able to adjust the aperture using the electronic controls on my camera - I'd have to adjust it on the lens itself.

Not that any of these things are a problem, I just had these questions on my mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:28 pm 

Hey, Trevor

It doesn't appear that any of those 50 1.8s are pre-AI, but remember that although Nikon began making their AI lenses in '77 they didn't become very popular until '79 when Nikon began to manufacture them as their main type of lenses. If I were you you, I'd contact the seller and ask him/her if it's pre-AI or AI.

The only difference between the pre-AI lenses and AI lenses is the ability to mount them without turning the aperture ring. Also, Nikon began to make some physical appearance differences to their lenses with the introduction of AI.
You should be able to use the lens no problem with full metering capabilities after you program the lens into the camera. They don't have CPUs in them so the camera can't recognize what they are. You'll need to program what the lens is in the menu of the camera (ex. the lens is a 50mm f/1.8 ), set the function button of he camera to access your non-CUP lens and whenever you mount your AI lens just press the function button and scroll through your list of lenses until you find the desired one. After that, you can use your camera in manual or aperture priority to shoot. All other modes will be disabled.

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:46 am 

Ok, that all makes sense, I just have a few additional. Sorry for all the questions, I'm usually not this needy, haha.

Quote:
The only difference between the pre-AI lenses and AI lenses is the ability to mount them without turning the aperture ring

So what about this business of damaging my d200 mount? I found this DIY to modify the lens, but I'm not sure if this is to get the AI function working or to just allow mounting without damage. I'm interested in the later.

http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/lhhansen/photo/repair/aimod/aimod.htm

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:55 am 

That's alright, I don't mind questions :)

The guide should give you the full capabilities of AI lenses, but I'm not 100% sure. To play it safe, I'd just go out and spend $20 or $30 on an AI conversion kit and get a professional to do it. I believe that there's a certain ridge on the pre-AI lenses that if you try to mount onto a new digital body would damage the mount.

- Ansel Adams