Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:22 am 
Hey guys, im really new to the dslr scene, and I'm doing my first purchase soon.

I'm getting a D70 with 55-200mm lens, and for the most part, I'll be using it for sport action shots. If it matters, I'll be taking a lot of paintball pictures where everything is fast paced and in your face. Would this be an okay lens to use for now?? And for the future, what would be the ideal lens?

The dimensions of the paintball field is around 175x125ft, and I would be standing on the sides of the field.

Any recommended settings? Or input in general from any of you that do sport shooting? Anything and everything is appreciated (ie other equipment, angles, etc)

Thank you for all of your help in advance, guys. I'm probably going to be asking more questions in the future so I hope i don't bother any of you :P

Last edited by NeyugN on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:05 am 
For action shots you need a fast shutter speed and I doubt you will be able to get a speed fast enough with the 55-200 at the long end. I may be wrong, try it and see but I think eventually you will want a faster aperture lens like the Sigma 70-200 2.8f or similar. You will not have to get a lens with VR or OS using it at fast shutter speeds unless the stabilisation of the viewfinder image is important to you.
I take it you are getting a used D70 as this model was phased out some time ago. I would advise trying it out before purchase to make sure it has no issues and is in good condition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:24 am 

My suggestion, set the aperture to what you want and increase the ISO till you get the speed to stop blurring. 1/800s upwards should get a sharp image. Have a practice on anything that moves.

Cheers