Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:04 pm 

Hi there,

I'm having trouble understanding my sb-800 speedlight and the auto iso feature on my D700.

Up until now I barely used my speedlight and only show with natural light. So I decided that I to make more use of my flash, but I can't figure out some tiny thing.

When I set my camera to auto iso and aperture priority everything works as it should be. When I attach my speedlight, the auto iso is disabled (locked at iso 200), but my shutter speed drops accordingly. I would expect that it would drop to the minimum shutter speed I specified in the menu (1/60), but my shutter speed drops way below that. I'ts like I use iso 200 and a given aperture in low lighting conditions that give me a shutter speed of 2".

The only way around this is setting the "base" iso to 3200. When I do that, the d700 gives me a higher shutterspeed, but also boosts the iso. And that kinds defeats the flash on the camera.

What am I doing wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:25 pm 

Do you have it set to slow sync or rear curtain sync flash?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:36 am 

Bingo!

I indeed had it set to rear curtain. When I take it off that setting everything works like the manual discribes.

The d700 is a greath camera, but somethimes you can't see the forrest for the threes with all these options.

Thanks citruspers :D