Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikon SB-600 vs SB-700
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:29 am 

Moved from Flashes, Strobes and Lighting
Hello all,

I was shooting some portraits at the park a few days ago, and trying to use the D7000's pop-up flash for some fill-in flash, but quickly found that it's lack of power wasn't enough to get rid of the shadows on the faces of my subjects that I was shooting from a few meters away.

A few days later, I was shooting at a banquet, in very low light situations. I found that shooting without flash seemed nearly impossible, and when I wanted to shoot later with flash I wasn't able to bounce the light, or use any sort of soft box or diffuser to soften the light.

Coincidentally, I was recently offered a great deal on a second-hand Nikon SB-600. It seems like it would be a great flash to suit my needs, but I have a few concerns about it.
Is the flash going to overheat? How many shots would you say I could get without the flash overheating and needing to cool off for a few minutes? Also, I don't believe that it automatically shuts off after a while, as the SB-700 does.
The SB-600 also has a clunky menu system, something that the SB-700 really improves on. Is this a big deal?

Alternatively, I could go for a new SB-700, but it would cost more than twice the price and I'm not sure if it's worth it. I'd get better controls, the overheating protection plus those new filters and a bounce card, but are there many more improvements other than that? Is there something that I missed?

Overall, which one would you recommend?

Thanks,
-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:16 am 
An SB-600 will be fine. It recycles quite fast (using NiMh batteries), and i've never had any problems with overheating, even when shooting bursts at 1/2 power. Spend the money you save on a good set of batteries and charger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:44 am 
Hi EvanK,

I have not used the SB700, but I have shot constantly for 6 hours straight with the SB600 without any indication of overheating.

Went through three sets of batteries and had to shoot at full power since the place was very darkly lit.

The SB700 could be better, but I haven't really experienced any limitation of the SB600 yet. Besides, if you could get 2 SB600s for the price of one SB700, not only would overheating never be an issue, but you would also have two flashes!!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:23 am 

Thanks for your replies

I have a few sets of the rechargeable Enloops. should those do fine?

Thanks

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:14 am 
Yep, Eneloops will be perfect :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:46 am 

Thanks everyone, I'm pretty sure that I'll go with the SB-600.

By the way, does anybody know how to tell a grey market SB-600 from the serial number?

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:25 am 
The SB-600 is great. I don't see the point of choosing the 700; if you need more power & features,get the 900.