Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:26 am 
I've been in to photography for a while, been using a Panasonic Lumix FZ18 for the past few years and know the basics.

My Mom loved some of my shots and decided she wanted to try and for some reason jumped right into it with a D5000. After a few months she still wasn't getting it and finally gave up and bought a superzoom similar to my Panasonic, and said if I wanted she'd sell me her D5000.

I never really wanted a DSLR, the price point was always too high, the thought of carrying multiple lenses was scary and overwhelming, and I really liked my superzoom, but $550 for the camera plus an extra lens (55-200mm), extra battery, and a set of filters, I just couldn't pass it up.

So here I am with a nice new DSLR, i love it, but i'm a little lost. I never learned too much about lenses or focal distance or other certain things because i just had the 1 lens. so I guess my questions now are...

-what lenses are a must have for DSLRs?
-what is a good basic/everything lens?
-what type of things should i avoid?

if it helps i mostly shoot landscapes and cityscapes. sometimes ill shoot wildlife, but the closest i usually get to that is my cats. i do really like the zoom of my panasonic, but thinking about it, i really dont use the full zoom that much and in comparison the additional lens i got is pretty close, but i wouldn't mind having the option of the superzoom. i've read a few things about doublers, are they any good?

from my brief research i think i'd like to get a super wide angle lens, a fisheye, and a friend told me i should get something with a real low f stop, i found a 50mm f/1.8 for $100 on amazon, not sure if i need it, but its semi cheap and got great reviews...

anyway, enough rambling, any advice is appreciated. thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:06 pm 
Welcome to the world of DSLR's, there's no turning back now!

The D5000 is an entry level, but very capable DSLR. You'll likely be very happy.

You said "extra lens" 55-200mm, so i'm assuming the other lens is the kit 18-55mm lens? Both of these lenses are very good at their respective price points, but they do have there limitations for certain types of photography. You're friend was certainly not wrong to recommend something with a "low F stop", otherwise known as aperture. The low F stop means the lens can gather a lot of light, so it's great for shooting in dim conditions (closer to dusk/dawn, indoors at night time under weak lighting, sports action shots, and they are also very commonly used to "blur" the background on portrait shots, a very pleasing affect that many are after, known in the photography world as "Bokeh") However many of the lenses with larger apertures (large aperture = low F stop) either cost significantly more and are very large and bulky, if they dont fit those two criterions, then it's very likely a prime lens, a lens that is fixed at a certain focal distance, so you can't zoom in and out with it...

Primes are a great option, because they can be very cheap, have good large apertures, and are very sharp... however they do come with the drawback of not being able to zoom... the nikkor AF 50mm F1.8 that you mentioned is undoubtedly a great lens, and a great value, HOWEVER, it will not auto focus on your D5000, it will me manual focus only, which might not be so great for a beginner. Nikon has a great 35mm F1.8 AF-S lens, that WILL auto focus on your body, at a very similar price point, I think you'd be happy with that lens. Nikon also came out with a new 50mm 1.8 AF-S lens that will also autofocus on your body, but it's a very new lens and i believe the price point is a little bit higher.

For future reference the only lenses that will autofocus on your D5000 are "AF-S or AF-I" lenses, like the two kit lenses you have. All of nikons newest lenses are AF-S, but some of the older better valued lenses are not.

I suggest you play around with the camera some, and get a feel for the limitations on the lenses and camera, and report back to us with what you found so that we can better recommend possible equipment or lens upgrades, the two lenses you have taking you from 18-200mm is a very effective range to have at your disposal, so it may be all you ever need.

Also, If you're not familiar already, take a delve into the world of DSLR's and obtain a good understanding of Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO, Exposures, etc... the basics of photography outside of the "Auto" mode if you will...

Good luck, and let us know what you find!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:44 pm 
I too only recently got into DSLR world and also with the D5000.

Before any buys, do read a lot of reviews and make sure you know what you are looking for. This website has many reviews on the lenses as well as recommendations. Check it up.

I used the 18-55 kit untill I felt what I really needed. I got myself then a 16-85 for longer range and better quality. It is expensive and only f3.5-5.6 but it really gets the job done FOR ME when it is bright.

I also purchased the 50mm f1.4G which is pretty new. A very good quality and fast prime. Not the sharpest on f1.4 but amazing at f1.8 and up. It is also a little too expensive.

I plan on getting in the next weeks the 35mm f1.8 which is really good for the money, as Joel A stated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:50 pm 

Just use your experience to see what you need. Look at the EXIF information. If you're at 18mm all the time, you could benefit with a wider angle lens (but remember you can always stitch).

For general use the 35/1.8 is pleasantly sharp from maximum aperture and I really like mine.

For portraits and a narrower angle of view the 50/1.8G is recommended (the older 50/1.8 won't focus on your camera).

The 50 and the 35 are both relatively inexpensive but very sharp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:14 am 
thanks for the input.

i must mention, however, i am not new to photography, just DSLRs, i know a bunch about aperture and shutter speed and all that, im just used to having it all on one lens, so im not quite sure what i may need to do the pics i want or what type of stuff i may be missing out on.

every seems to be recominding the 1.4 so ill probably get one this weekend.

to the first replier, do you have a link to the one your friend bought with the similar price point?

also what is a good wide angle, i saw this
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Wide-Angle- ... SG7LOFKMXN

and its got some great reviews and its cheap, but a friend said those "lenses" are garbage. thoughts?