Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikon D5100 or D90
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:13 pm 
Hi

Well i am very confused which nikon to go for. Market superseller of one time D90 or the newbie D5100. Actually i have canon 550d but since my husband took it away so i am planning to buy new on. D90 with its kit lens or D 5100 with 18-105mm lens...plz help i am in real fix....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:46 pm 
Your husband took it away?? :?

Well first off all i have done comparisons my self not to long ago. They both feel about the same in your hands since they are about the same size.

In my case nikon feels better in my hands than canon. I probably had a slight preference for the D90.

It all depends what you want to do with the camera. D5100 has better movie features and movie autofocus and a better sensor so if its movies you want then D5100 is the one to go for. D90 has more hardware buttons and the extra LCD information screen on top of the camera and the D90 is therefore definity more userfriendly. No more fiddeling around in the LCD menus with the D90.

D90 is the steal of the century while D5100 has better sensor but lacks extra the buttons so is not as userfriendly in my opinion.

If you use automatic settings on the camera or scenes button or something like that i probably would go for the D5100. If you use one of the manual modes such as aparture or shutter priority mode or fully manually mode would definitely go for the D90 becuase of the extra information LCD screen on the camera.

If you want the best of both world buy a Nikon D7000 (that is what i ended up with).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:12 pm 
One other reason to go with the D90 is the Viewfinder grid.
I like to use "the rule of thirds" (look it up if you dont know what that is)when shooting photos and the D5100 has no viewfinder grid, while as the D90 has a grid (which can also be turned off if you dont like it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:33 am 
i was at the same situation last year, but with d3100 instead.

i ended up with the d3100 because i'm very green to DSLR then, and was attracted with the video capability of the d3100

after all that, i ended up not using the video at all. also, i've mastered the camera since then, and now wishing i have more bottons to make quick adjustments w/o going thru the menu screen.

that's why im now 2 paychecks away from the d7000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:09 pm 
Hi,

Thanks for replies. My husband took away my canon as his birthday gift and so now he has to pay the price for new nikon in family...

Well when i purchased canon movie was my priority but after using it for six months i realized i never used dslr for shooting movies. So, that is definitely not a preference and i want nikon because it definitely feels better in hand.

Confused....d90 or d5100

Thanks
Arsha