Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:28 am

All times are UTC

Nikon 50mm f1.8 AF-S or Nikon 35mm f1.8 AF-S
50mm 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
35mm 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 8
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:17 pm 
Hi,
I really can't decide between these two lenses, so I would love to hear what you have to say.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:53 pm 

Well it all depends on what you're shooting really. 35mm on DX is the equivalent of around 50mm on full frame whereas the 50mm on DX is more of a telephoto 75mm. If you're shooting portraits then the 50mm may be a more flattering focal length, but as a walkabout lens the 35mm may be more versatile.

As you have an 18-55 just try using it at those set focal lengths and see how you get on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:27 pm 

Quote:
35mm on DX is the equivalent of around 50mm on full frame whereas the 50mm on DX is more of a telephoto 75mm

That's true, I prefer the 75mm focal length, but it's really a personal thing.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:40 am 
Let me clarify one thing. 35mm lens is always a 35mm lens. 50mm lens is always a 50mm lens.

35mm on DX camera just has the angle of view of a 50mm lens, NOT the magnification or focal length of a 50mm.

I think it depends on what you want to photograph. 35mm is a nice all round lens and sharp to, but if you want to make pictures of people or objects the 50mm would be better. I think outdoors i would prefer 50mm above 35mm. 35mm is not really usable for wide landscapes anyway (due to the crop) but still nice for flowerparks and things like that. so 50mm would be better for people pictures or just on the streets because of the little bit extra magnification. With the 35mm you have to stand pretty close. But on the other hand 35mm would be great for indoors pictures (50mm would be pretty much unusable).

So if you want it or indoors take the 35mm want it for outdoors buys the 50mm.

I know 35mm F1.8DX is only razor sharp at f3.5 but keeps it razor sharp till at least F10/F11. So if you want to use it for f3.2 or lower keep in might its a bit softer not very sharp (probably still way better than any kit lens though).

I am not sure about the AF-S 50mm f1.8 (is that a new one?).
If you really want the best spent some more on a 50mm F1.4 FX lens.
Its not that much more expensive only $100 more i think.

But maybe the 50mm F1.8 will be oke too. It all depends on how sharp it will be in the f1.8 - F3.5 range and if you really need that.

On the 35mm you would probabaly have more barel distortion but thats no problem if you turn on automatic lens correction on in the camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:15 am 
vote for 35mm. almost perfect range for street

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:30 am 
It is the "almost" part that is the problem with that lens.

I was walking around a lake a while ago, there were these ducks playing at the side of the lake. Sitting on a ledge jumping in the water (ducks are really really funny creatures if you observe them for a while).

It was just that a 35mm was not long enough focal to make a good frame filling picture and i whished i had 50mm with me because then the duck would be filling the frame a bit more. Of course i had a nikkor 70-300mm VR EDII with me so i could make pics anyway but they were not near as sharp as a prime lens. Of course you can walk closer with your 35mm but with animals that doesn't really work because they go away if you come to close.

Another example there was this peacock in a park and wanted to shoot it (with my camera of course). It was amazing because it was walking around with its wings wide open showing off to everybody. 50mm would have been better, with 35mm i had to be to close to him. I had the shot but had to be really really carefull making it that close to the peacock (and I want to respect the animals space and dont disturb them).

I think about buying a 50mm too. 35mm is still very nice for indoors because 50mm has to narrow angle of view for that..

35mm is not really a landscape lens anyway. I think about buying a 50mm f1.8 too. I think it is sharper at f2.0 than the 35mm lens according to the review thomas did.

I bought the 35mm because i thought it would behave like 50mm on my DX camera. But it is not becuase 35mm lens always stays 35mm lens and doesnt have 50mm magnification, just the 50mm angle of view. I found that out later...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:58 am 

So there we go, Ranald.

If you're into ducks, or in fact any large birds, the 50mm is 'the' way to go.

If you want a lens that's not quite 'there' then the 35mm is the way to go. The equivalent 50mm field of view isn't quite right, as can be seen by the most common kit lens to come with SLR cameras in the pre digital and pre zoom days. :lol:

I'll go back to what I said before:

"As you have an 18-55 just try using it at those set focal lengths and see how you get on."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:11 pm 
That is a good way to test it indeed. Just browse through your pictures in NXview and look what focal length you use the most. Or just walk around with your kit lens and try it at 35mm. (instead of zooming if its isnt working try walking around to get closer to the subject because that is what you have to do with with a prime lens too).

If you use it for indoors only 50mm is a no go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:12 pm 

And while you trying at those set focal lengths, fields of view, whatever, try taking a headshot of a friend and see which focal length, field of view, whatever, is more flattering

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:25 pm 

There's a free tool called Exposureplot which makes a nice graph of the focal lengths you use the most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:11 pm 
I voted for the 35mm as I use that lens nearly everyday and it is my most used lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:20 pm 
I own a 35mm myself it is a very very good lens. But I probably would prefer a 50mm. I Bought 35mm as everybody keeps telling me 35mm will be 50mm. It wont be 50mm. Its just cropping a 35mm picture thats all.

So sometimes now i miss a bit of magnification in certain situations and then i wished i had more mm.

You cant go wrong with both lenses they are both good. Just keep in mind
that 35mm is 35mm and 50mm is 50mm zoomwise, Viewangle wise is a different story.