Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lens Uses
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:44 am 

Hi,

I'm only very new to the photographic world and am reading so much that my head hurts. There is a great deal to learn and I'm not one to ask questions without doing some prior research first but can I please get some of you experts to point me in the right direction as the more I read the more I seem to get confused.
In my kit at the moment I have the following lenses.

18-55mm, f/3.5-f/5.6
55-300mm, f/4.5-f/5.6 ED Lens
50mm, f/1.8-f/16

I basically know what the 50mm lens is used for because I purchased it for a specfic purpose after speaking to others but when would you usually use the other two lenses and for what purposes?

Thanks for your support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:18 am 

There is no right or wrong answer, just use whichever lens for what you need it for

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:02 am 

As Jeremy has pointed out just use what you feel most comfortable with for any given shooting situation. At the risk of merely stating the obvious I will offer a few observations though.
The 18-55 kit lens is intended as a general purpose lens that will cover most situations but as it has a limited wide aperture it is not going to be great in less than perfect lighting conditions. You can of course boost your ISO in dim lighting but push that too far and you run the risk of "noise" spoiling your shots. I use the 18-55 or my 18-70 for general street shooting and when I need a wide (ish) panorama such as in landscapes although dedicated landscape photographers usually want something even wider such as a 10-20 or similar as shooting with a cropped frame camera multiplies the focal length by a factor of 1.5 in Nikon's case or 1.6 for Canon non-full frame cameras. So your 18-55 is really operating as a 27-83 focal length lens.
The 55-300 is a long telephoto lens useful for pulling in distant subjects so shooting sports when the participants are a long way off is a primary use as is shooting wildlife either in nature or in zoos and safari parks. It will also serve as a portrait lens in the 80mm and above focal range.
Your 50mm is a good portrait lens but some models feel uncomfortable with the photographer so up close so the longer focal length of your 55-300 will allow you to shoot from a greater distance. A telephoto lens is also good for candid photography in the street or park or wherever you don't want your subjects to be aware you are shooting.
Be aware though that some people don't take kindly to "sneaky" pics and may object if you are seen photographing them. Always be prepared to delete pics if people object, although this doesn't happen a lot.
I hope this helps a bit with your lens choice decisions. :)

I know a little about a lot, a lot about little and everything about nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:46 pm 

Very "Zen" like jeremy :lol:

Dave described it perfectly, however there is no "law" which lens to use for what situation, just guidelines based on general use. You can take portraits with ultrawideangles, and landscapes with telezooms. Just beware of what effect each lens has :)