Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lens suggestions
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:48 am 

I am using a Nikon D7000 and I currently own a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8d lens and a Tamron 80-210mm lens. My interests in photography currently involve landscape, wildlife, and travel. The lens(es) that I am interested in should also be able to allow me to shoot portraits and/or sports. I will be attending my cousin's wedding so I would need a lens that is great in low light. I was thinking about picking up a 70-300mm lens but the lens would not be great for a wedding that is going to take place inside a church. I have looked at the Tamron and Sigma offerings in the 70-200mm range but neither one offers image or optical stabilization. Any help is appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:38 am 
Budget?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:36 pm 

You may want to consider Nikon's 135mm f/2 portrait lens, it will work well for sports, low light and it's ideal for portraits. Otherwise, you could consider Nikon's 70-200 VR II f/2.8, which although it isn't as fast offers more versatility and VR. If that's over budget, you may want to take a look at the previous generation model, the 70-200 VR f/2.8, which will work just as well (assuming that you're using a crop camera, you may experience some vignetting and poor performance in the corners will full frame) and can be found for much cheaper.

Take note that the 135mm is an AF lens, so it won't auto focus on the D3000, D5000, D3100 or D5100 (any camera without an AF motor built in).

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:55 pm 

Looks like the Sigma 70-200 OS (stabilised version) is your best choice