Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:38 pm 

First of all, this is not an advertisement! :) I have questions regarding any differences in the backwards-compatibilty of the SB-800 and SB-80DX Speedlights, to help me decide whether to trade the older flashguns locally, for credit on a purchase. I purchased five SB-80DX Speedlights, with the intention of using them with radio transceivers. For a while, these excellent, powerful flashguns were readily available, because they were optimized for use on Nikon cameras such as the D100, which used the D-TTL flash system. With the D200, Nikon moved to the present CLS/I-TTL system, and the SB-600 and SB-800 Speedlights, which orphaned the D100 and SB-80DX, which are not compatible with the CLS/I-TTL system.

The growing popularity of radio triggers, such as Pocket Wizards, and the rise of such sites as Strobist.com and Zack Arias' blog, caused the "orphaned" SB-80DX Speedlights to suddenly become cult items, in high demand. I acquired the SB-80DX flashguns before they became too rare, but never acquired any radio transceivers/triggers, as financial and photographic priorities changed.

I have established that the SB-800 Speedlights are TTL-compatible with at least some of Nikon's older, pre-CLS cameras, including my FM3A film SLR, whereas my new SB-910 Speedlight can only be used in manual flash modes on pre-CLS cameras. Well, thanks to my wife being a long-time Nikon DSLR shooter, we have three SB-800 Speedlights. Moreover, we have accumulated the aforementioned SB-910, and my Canon Speedlites that have PC ports have grown in number.

If we acquire radio triggers, we have plenty of more modern-flashguns. It seems time to thin the herd a bit!

I have seen a home-built set-up made to hold twelve flashguns, but I think it was more to prove a blogger's point than be a practical piece of equipment.

The thought that bothers me is that, perhaps, there is something that I don't know that I don't know, an "unknown unknown," a reason to keep at least one SB-80DX. If anyone is still reading at this point, not having fallen asleep, I am very grateful for your consideration of my questions! :-)

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II