Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikon 12-24 vs 10-24
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:45 pm 
If they were the same price, which would you get - the 12-24 or 10-24? I've weighed up the pros and cons of each and I still cannot come to a decision. I can get them for roughly the same price, but I just don't know which to plump for - the one which doesn't go as wide but has better build quality, or the one that goes wider with poorer build quality. I like that the 12-24 is a constant aperture and zooms internally, but I really don't know how much I would miss those extra 2mm. Is there anything else I haven't considered, like how well each one works with filters attached etc?

Oh, and before anyone mentions either of the Tokinas, I've already ruled out the 11-16 as the zoom range is too small (I intend this to be more of a general purpose zoom so I really need the 24mm) and the 12-24 works out to be only a little bit cheaper than the Nikon version, even second hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:36 am 

The 2mm does indeed make a difference, it's a lot more noticeable at the wider angles when compared to the more telephoto focal lengths. If this will be an "all purpose zoom", then I think that your best bet would the the 12-24, as you'll be doing some work at all the focal lengths and having a quick, constant aperture will be convenient. Unless you REALLY want that wider angle, I believe that the 12-24 would be a superb choice.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:15 am 

Both are good IQ wise. The extra 2 mm will make a very big difference.

Youo have to consider what you'll be shooting as well. If you're shooting buildings etc the extra 2mm could be well worth it when correcting perspective distortion in pp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:30 am 
Id would and did get the 10-24mm.

The 2mm makes a huge difference, especially as Im basically at 10mm the whole time anyway.

In the modern day and age of ISO, I wouldnt worry too much about the f4-f4.5 difference, its only a third of a stop, and its actually f3.5 at 10mm where I use it most of the time anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:17 pm 

What focal length do you think that you'll be using the most? Something or the wide end, the longer end or a mixture of them all?

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:55 pm 
It's difficult to say as I've not owned a dedicated wide angle lens before, but I'd imagine it would be either the widest (10/12mm) or the longest (24mm) most of the time. Whether 12mm is wide enough for me, I really have no idea to be honest. I suspect if I didn't have a 10-24 to hand I wouldn't miss it that much. I would mostly be shooting landscapes, I don't intend to use it indoors too much where to the 10mm would be really useful.

If the 10-24 was a better performer in the corners than it is this would probably be a much easier decision, but as it is they're quite poor even when stopped down, whereas the 12-24 is pretty good in the corners even at f/4.

Hmm....decisions, decisions. I'm still no closer to making up my mind but I'm leaning more towards the 12-24 for the reasons I stated above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:25 pm 

One way to find out is to rent the lenses (presuming that you have a lens/camera rental program in your area), it can be a good way to try different lenses and see which one you prefer.

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:42 pm 
I did consider renting, unfortunately the prices are high enough that it would make it cheaper to buy a used lens, use it for a bit, and then sell it on. Which I'm seriously considering doing right now :)

Post subject: Re: Nikon 12-24 vs 10-24
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:48 pm 

I really like it! I'll always appreciate your brief sharing in this information :)

You can get score highest marks in Pass4sure NS0-155 exam using ISEB and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) which are prepared by top certified professionals, California College of the Arts wireless training; both are marvelous in their nature.