Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:49 pm 

I'm stuck wanting a fast wide-angle lens. My 35mm F/1,8 is good, but i'd like something a little wider, and still have a big maximum aperture.

Any lens suggestions? I'm mainly looking at the "new" 24mm F/1,4, but like I said - all suggestions are most welcome.

AF-S 85mm f/1.8G
2 x Speedlight SB-600
Yongnuo RF-603 and other accessories

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:32 pm 
If you can afford it then go for the 24 f1.4 and you certainly wont be disappointed. Not sure how available they are to find.

Seems a bit overkill for DX though, are you planning on upgrading to film or FX any time soon?

Also check out Sigma make a 20, a 24 and 28 f1.8 lenses I think.

Other than that f2.8 is about as fast as you get, so you might as well get a zoom, something like a 17-50 Sigma or 17-55 Nikon.

14-24 would be awesome, but again possibly overkill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:07 pm 

Quote:
Seems a bit overkill for DX though, are you planning on upgrading to film or FX any time soon?

Acutally I'm not thinking about that. I like the DX-format, still, this issue about the wide angle lens is really bugging me.

AF-S 85mm f/1.8G
2 x Speedlight SB-600
Yongnuo RF-603 and other accessories

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:31 pm 
Perhaps the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 DX would be right up your alley?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:25 am 

If you're looking for something with a 35mm equivalent, the 24mm would really be your best choice. If the Nikon version looks too pricey, the 3rd party Sigmas (Such as the 1.8 24mm Macro) would be a great alternative at a much lover price, or if you prefer a focal length a bit longer, you could try the 28 1.8 or 30 f1.4, but that's already nearing the 50mm mark.

On the topic of full frame, unless it's too much to carry around and you prefer the light weight of DX, I personally think that it would be a wise investment (Especially if you're looking for better wide angle lenses), you certainly have a better selection with FX.

It would be interesting to see something like a 20mm-25mm fast DX prime from Nikon as something equivalent to about the 35mm focal length.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams