Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:27 pm 
why is the 50mm 1.8 lens aperture fixed at f22 with my D5000? If I unlock the locking ring and move the ring, you can see the aperture open up looking at the back of the lens. But it will not take a picture if it's moved off f22. I called a camera shop and they said it has to stay in f22 and the aperture is done electronically. THAT DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT. Your still taking a pic through a small hole. Plus I changed the aperture electronically and looked at the front of the lens, NO movement.

Is the 50mm broke? What should I buy as a prime?

Thank you for your support.......Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:03 pm 
No that is all correct.

The aperture only opens up when the shot is being taken so that you have as much depth of field as possible when composing.

The aperture ring is for older cameras which can change the aperture automatically or for if you are using it on a Canon body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:14 pm 
Jeremy1302 Thank you....So your saying that when the aperture is set electronically, and the shot is taken, the Iris moves to the setting, then moves back to f22?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:57 pm 
Yeah try it out for yourself.

Shoot the same scene in aperture priority (A on the top)

And shoot a few shots at different apertures, say f1.8, f2.8, f4, f5.6, f8, f11 and f16.

Keep your ISO the same but watch how the shutter speed is different in each shot.

Also see how the depth of field is different in each shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:06 pm 
Quote:
The aperture only opens up when the shot is being taken so that you have as much depth of field as possible when composing.

Erm....no. It's the other way round, the lens is open to its maximum aperture when composing through the viewfinder and only closes down to whatever it is set to in the camera when the shutter button (or DOF preview button, if you have one) is pressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:16 pm 
Fair enough sorry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:46 pm 
Thank you both. I read the manual again and found where it says to keep the ring locked at the highest f #. Not knowing how the lens operates and being that it has no motor for A/F, I thought that the iris was fixed. Not the case. I set the Aperture in the camera to 1.8 and the speed to 3. Looked down the front of the lens and snapped a shot. BINGO! You could see the Iris open/shut...

Thank you again for you time and patients.

Dave