Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: buying new dslr/lens
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:05 pm 
hello everyone
i`m confused in making my decision and hope you help me
sorry i might be writing alot but i`m trying to get you in my situation to give me the best solution

well i got nikon d90 , 18-105mm nikkor , 50mm f/1.8 nikkor . sb600
i`m selling all that gear and keeping the 50mm

i`m thinking of buying " nikon d7000 " for mainly 2 reasons " faster auto focus , better at higher ios " and the continues AF on HD videos is something might be interested .

i`m into landscape photography plus i do alot of indoor photography where the lights sucks so i need big F number and the 50mm sometimes too close.

so what i might be buying is a d7000 body with
-16-85mm nikkor " but i need bigger than 3.5"
-tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

i found tokina like the 14-24 nikkor "in somehow" with a big difference in cash , i actually haven`t try any other brand than nikkor

so what do you advice and suggest ?

thnx for your time

ps: i wish that everything is cheaper since i`m still 22 years old studying :cry: like "d700 + 14-24mm = 1000 $ !!!!! " :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:27 am 

First you need to work out what is not satisfactory in your current setup.

The D7000 has advances on the D90, but You will notice that I haven't gotten rid of my D90 - it now mates with the 70-300 and very nice it is too. I have had most satisfactory photos up to 40 x 60 cm with the D90.

I'm not a sports photographer, but I find the AF for the D90 and D7000 similar in practical terms. That's for single point focus - it is possible that if you use multipoint the D90 could be a little fastert again a small difference in practical terms, and there are a lot of variables.

If rou find the 18-105 (a fine lens) is constantly at 18mm, maybe you need a wideangle, and conversely if you're at 105 constantly maybe a telephoto zoom.

It sounds like you're more into the wideangle side so I'd get the most suitable lens you can find for your D90. If it works well, you've just saved a lot of money. If you want more, then you can buy the D7000 without disadvantage (you were thinking of buying it anyway).

Video is another matter, and I'm not really qualified to comment on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:45 pm 

nikon d700 aprox 1200USD body only

d90 is a great camera, i don't see why do you need d7000 for landscape?
i think you should get yourself some nice lenses for the price of d7000,
example:

sigma 10-20mm (f3.5 aprox 650 USD, f4-5.6 aprox 470USd)->landscape
sigma 17-50 f2.8 aprox 670 usd -> low light/portrait..

add me up on:

flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bakica/

deviant art:
http://tbensic.deviantart.com/

----:>bakice ce vladati svjetom<:----

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:10 pm 
For what you do I really can't see why you would buy the D7000, especialy if you do low light photography, why would you want more pixels on the same size sensor? that only makes them smaller and harder to illuminate.

bakica is right, it would be better if you buy some better lenses for the extra money spent on the D7000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:34 pm 
well i tried the D7000 and i found it faster in focus and better at high ISO and the continues auto focus on video mood. those are the reasons of getting the d7000 but i`m giving it a second thought
i`m thinking of just getting the tokina 11-16 f/2.8 instead the flash and 18-105mm
i`m thinking of using it for walk around and low light and incase i wanted to get closer i can use the 50mm ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:44 pm 

The continuous AF in video mode is overrated. It's better than without, but it still can't compete with a camcorder. I wouldn't base my decision on that feature. It is, however, higher quality than your D90, at 1080p vs 720.

In terms of still images, the Tokina is nice for landscapes, very dramatic angles. Do bear in mind though, if you're finding 50mm too close but want something very bright, there is always the 35mm f1.8 which is quite inexpensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:21 pm 
thnx for your opinions guys and i`m still open for more opinions
from what you are saying i feel like i`m gonna keep my d90 !

well the video option is being used once a month maybe so it`s not that important to me .

so i guess the only 2 reasons that makes me think of getting the d7000 is the faster auto focus and the improvement at the higher ISO...

35mm is good but i need something for wide angel plus low light . couldn`t find any other option than this tokina , it would if nikkor had a 16mm f/1.8 for 150$ like the 35mm price :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:47 pm 
btw english is not my mother language so sorry if i made some mistakes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:46 am 
If you would have so more money to burn, why not invest on a d300s? But you must have a number of full frame lenses to maximize the cameras capabilities. If you are on consideration though, d7000 would be a good choice. Not looking at pixel count here but on the level of shooting. But I would like to say that it is also good to choose a camera that will best suit your style and subjects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:10 am 
D300s is not full frame.

Post subject: 18-105mm
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:59 pm 
hey,

i wanted to know if you'd be willing to sell the 18-105 to me and for how much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:02 pm 
@Mr. Gabe i`m sure you are not any close to where i live
i`m in Syria

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:53 pm 
hey guys
after reading your posts i gave it a second thought
and i`ve decided to keep my d90 and the kit lens and just sell the flash
and with the flash money plus maybe few dollars i can get another lens

Post subject: flash
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:22 pm 
how much are you willing to sell the flash?

can you ebay from syria? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:24 pm 
lol man i think you can find flashes in your location
my friend already wants to buy it also shipping rates are high