Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:00 pm 

Just in a bit of a dilema want to get a Nikon but wondering which of these 3 models will give me more bang for my bucks. Want a good all rounder that takes good action shots & has good video, but more importantly am I focusing too much on the camera & not enough on the lense. What would be a good combination of camera & lense. I don't want to spend a fortune on a load of lenses & my needs are pretty simple, wide angle & good telephoto. Its a hobby not a career & I don't want to break the bank. By the way this is my 1st step into DSLR. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:19 pm 

D3100 and 18-200 or little shorter and cheaper 18-105, but best to buy best you can afford than by twice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:38 pm 

I'd vouch for the D3100 or 5000, and get it with the 18-105 (nice general purpose lens), and perhaps the 35mm F/1.8 (great little lens for lowlight)

Post subject: citruspers
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:03 pm 
i have a nikon d3100, and it's awesome for a beginner. it's really what you do with the camera, not so much as what the camera can do for you. theyre all pretty similar in specs.

i plan to sell my 18-55mm and 55-200mm and buy a 18-105. looking for a trade actually... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:24 am 
I was thinking the same, as my Mother would like to buy my Dad a SLR but wants something light and smallest for him so its not over powering for him at 67 years old.

Thinking the 3100 with kits lens to start...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:46 pm 
Hello,

I advise you to go to the store and hold the cameras in your hand (or whoever is using the camera should hold it in his/her hands).

You will now right away which model is the best for you if you hold it. It feel feel good or it will not. The D3100 is too small for me, the D5100 is close but no cigar and the D90 and the d7000 are just a perfect fit.

Of course it could be different in your situation. There is even people buying Canon DSLR's but for me it doesnt feel good at all when i hold those canon camera's. But that doesnt mean somebody else feels the same way.

So just hold te camera and try how it feels. I prefer a D90 over a D3100 or a D5100 (not only becuase it fits better in my hand but also becuase of the extra hardware buttons).