Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikon D90 vs D7000
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:56 pm 

Hey, guys. I've searched the forum back and forth and haven't been able to find a post regarding the subject line. I'm looking to go up from my D3000 and am in the research process. I've seen, and read , Gordon's reviews on both of these cameras. Of course, they're different. But I'm actually looking forward to your advice and expertise on the matter. My price range is up to the D7000, body only, so please, enrich my knowledge with yours. I'd appreciate any of your insights.

http://web.me.com/angelmleon/www.beginnerspic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:27 pm 

The D7000 is the newer version in the D90 line (D70-D80-D90-D7000). But it also gives you a more pro-like body, better video, intervalometer but also a higher price. If you can and want to spend the money on the D7000, it is highly recommended (less reason to look back, more "future-proof") but both bodies are very capable for taking great pictures. The money saved on the D90 might even be put towards better lenses, giving you even better quality in your photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:33 pm 
The D7000 is the direct replacement to the D90, and as such is better or the same in every way. There's no reason to go for the D90 other than price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:49 pm 

Ok. As far as the lenses go, I have a 35mm F/ 1.8 on the way so that'll boost my lenses a whole lot. But I still can't decide which one to trade up to. I mean, like Jeremy said, other than price, the D7000 has the advantages over the D90, but the D90, from what I've read here, is a very well liked and used camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:59 pm 
The D90 is a great camera, if thats as far as your budget will stretch you wont be disappointed. As for lenses, you should know what you want after owning an 18-55. More length? Brighter aperture? Sharper? Better build quality? Quicker focussing?

I like the 18-200 or the 17-55 f2.8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:41 am 
Hi,

allow me to offer a different perspective: the answer to your question is: what's most important to you - camera features or bang for your buck?

In 2 years, there will be a replacement for the D7000...maybe even sooner. Before then, there will be an newer version in the D300-line that's even better and more appealing than the D7000 from a build, feature etc. perspective. And Nikon should soon come with a new model in the D700 line as well. And so on and so forth.

Examine what you can get for the price-difference...a flash? a good tripod? another important lens? 50 super-sized prints of your best photographs?

Good luck with your choice!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:07 am 

Well, now that you mention it, I just ordered a flash and like I said on my previous post, I have a 35mm lens coming my way, as well as a Gorilla Pod tripod. So I'm adding to my line of items quickly, but I want something more than my D3000. Don't take me wrong, I love my camera, but I know that I'll probably get more bang for my buck with one of these two cameras. If it was up to budget, I'd go with the D90, but since it isn't it's all about choice. Although I know that there'll be new lines coming for the D300 and the like, I don't think that I need to go that high. I'm still undecided, so I hope you guys can help me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:31 pm 
On the d7000 you will need more expensive lenses to match the sharpness of the d90, because of the higher pixel density on the sensor.[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:44 pm 

true and not true. Depends what needs and settings there are when taking photos. But also a step from 12MP to 16MP is not immediately that visible unless pixel peeping or printing minimum size of A3+ (I guess).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:32 am 

I have both and I use them interchangeably.

The D7000 certainly has some upgrades and it does produce a sharper image at 100% on screen. Having said that, it is only on a rather large print that you should notice any difference, other things being equal.

However - from my perspective, I think that the D7000 has better colour balance on JPEGS and better exposure accuracy (though still can open up the exposure in bright light).

Things I particularly like and use are the "spirit level" (I have crooked eyes), the "press once and dial up" image settings (instead of "hold and dial") and the AF Area mode switch. These seem small things, but they aid faster operation.

I think that the D7000 is a very good quality match for the 35 f1.8.

If there is a lens that is really important to you, you might consider saving some money on the D90. Otherwise the D7000 is a good buy.

Can't lose really, either way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:33 pm 

Nah, as far as lens go, for now, I have what I want. I just got a Sigma EF-530 flash so that helps too. I'm still rather torn between the two. Thanks for all the advice. Soon I'll let you guys know how I made up my mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:49 pm 
I was recently in the same situation (just bought my new D90). I chose to go with the D90 instead of the 7000 because I am still on a budget, and the one thing that is true and that I have heard from pretty much every photographer that I know is that it is better to spend more money on the glass. So I broke my budget down and spent less than half of it on the body and the rest will be going into lenses (as I see what I shoot most and what I need in a lens - already have the 18-105 VR kit lens and the 50mm f/1.8 and I am looking into either the 85mm lens for more portraits or the 70-300mm for when I shoot sports).

So essentially, the advice I was given and what I would suggest is spend your money on lenses though if "as far as lens go, for now, [you] have what [you] want" the D7000 is a great camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:46 am 
If money was no object,I would get the D7000. The AF is really nice,compared to the D90's,which has the D80's AF...which is not that impressive,if you have a certain experience with photography & DSLRs. Also,the D7000's sensor performs really really well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:10 am 

I love my D7000, I personally think that it's worth the extra money over the D90. The noise control is a significant upgrade and the improved AF is definitively a welcome feature.

On the other hand however, if you every DO want to buy some new lenses (as lenses are generally more important than the camera body itself) the D90 will leave you with some cash leftover to use.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams