Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: buying a teleconverter
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:18 pm 
i have a nikon d90 and i plan to buy a 2x teleconverter for my zoom lens (nikkor 55-300 vr) and maybe micro (60mm 2.8) , and i want a cheap one , mostly ill be taking photos of still objects and the moon , what do you think ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenko-Teleplus- ... 088&sr=8-4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:50 am 
Not sure you'll be able to use this on the 55-300. Teleconverters slow the lens by a couple of stops, making it effectively an f8-f11, which is too slow for the autofocus to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:31 am 

Also the back element of the lenses might be touching the front element of the teleconverter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:47 am 

All in all, I wouldn't recommend it. It might work for moon shots if you have a tripod, and it might actually work on your macro lens (provided the elements don't collide), but for general purpose shooting...nah.

(I have a 2x TC myself, and use it exclusively on my 70-200 F/2.8, which becomes a 140-400 F/5.6 with poor optical quality).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:20 pm 
mmm , i discouraged now to get it , but there's this used one, i might get it if for cheap , would it fit my camera ?

thanks for all the replies

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :MEBIDX:IT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:50 pm 
Hmm, cheap third party teleconverter designed before the lens in question was even dreamt about!

Anything could happen.

The chances of autofocus are slim, manual focus is going to be next to impossible, as you're trying to focus an f11 lens on a DX camera with a focussing screen that wasnt designed for manual focus. Also not helping is the lens without a focus window.

Maybe metering wont even work, maybe you wont even be able to change aperture, this can happen on cheap extension tubes with gelded (the 55-300 is gelded) lenses.

I also believe that some teleconverters and lenses wont even mount together, but Im sure that you probably would be able to mount it.

Something is definite though, the image quality is going to be atrocious. Partly because its a cheap lens, partly because its a 2x teleconverter, but mainly because theres no way focus is going to be spot on.

But ask yourself, why do you even need this? You're talking about getting 600mm on a DX sensor. That's over 900mm in old money.

An 800mm lens even looks like this:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:47 pm 

2.0x converters are really stretching it: because they magnify any faults the lens has by 2x!
I once had a Kenko 1.5x converter and I can say at least:
- it was fun to use
- it was built in a way that it probably fits most lenses
- in the end the combined IQ did not impress me enough to keep it
When guessing at which aperture a body would probably give up AF I'd say: f/6.3 is probably going to work still, but at f/8.0 operation is probably getting unreliable. My combo of Sigma 400/5.6 x Kenko 1.5 = 600/8.4 still worked ok. But don#t bet on it.