Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:18 pm 
This is some advice to all those new to photography thinking about picking up the bargain and quality 35mm f1.8.

It used to sell for around £170 in the UK although prices are (according to a good source and friend of mine) about to rise considerably to £300.

Amazon are already enforcing this, see here although some shops, like Jessops here are keeping the old price as are Grays of Westminster I guess until stock runs out on it.

I think this is true over the pond too, according to Ken.

Basically, if you're thinking of buying one, my advice is grab one now!

Best of luck,
Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:20 pm 
they lost alot of money due to the tsunami.

everytime something goes wrong at Nikon, it affects its users.

a d3 sensor replacement was 470$ 4 years ago, it's 1250$ today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:29 pm 
I also noticed last night that Amazon US price on the 35mm f1.8 has gone up to over $370. Last week I was at my local camera store where another customer purchased one for around $200 after he failed to acquire one at all from Adorama. Seems they have a back order of over 50+ units. However, the trend is the same for any Japanese merchandise at the moment, it's supply and demand in action.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:48 am 

It hasn't increased in price here in Canada yet, still hovering around $300. Hopefully the prices of other lenses don't increase too much...

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:38 am 
So why just the 35mm 1.8f? I should imagine the prices of a lot of Japanese products will rise, not just photographic gear either. Most of the hi-fi equipment sold here is Japanese as are the TVs. And what about the car manufacturers who don't have plants in other countries? It will be interesting to see what happens.
I am not interested in the 35mm even if it remains at it's previously low price. I do realise that it is a popular lens though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:07 am 
Dave,...the time it takes to grind the glass and polish is one reason,..machines can crank out electronics fairly quick,...but glass....is a whole other ballgame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:45 am 

That level of price hike is a bit of a concern. At the original price it was a good little lens, but the new price will surely affect sales negatively.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:13 am 

I jus got one jus then $325aud still abit dear even our dollar is record high.anyway very happy with sharpness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:18 am 

These price jumps are interesting, apparently it's selling for the same price in the US as it is in Canada (Which is almost UNHEARD of!) and since our dollar is so strong right now we're really paying MORE for the lens if we buy from the states! I wonder why there's been no spike in prices here yet.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:23 am 
Presumably you still have some stock left. You can still pay the old price here if you can find one. Check amazon evan, what are they selling for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:33 am 

Quote:
Check amazon evan, what are they selling for?

Amazon Canada doesn't sell the 35mm f/1.8, Amazon Canada seems to never carry anything! :lol:

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:06 pm 

The 35 1.8 has disappeared from some major camera stores here in the Netherlands, I wonder if a replacement is coming up (highly doubt it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:48 pm 
I doubt a replacement as well, however I seem to recall the 35mm being highly unexpected when it was released.

Instead of a replacement, Id rather have a low cost either 12mm f2.8 or 85mm f1.8 AF-S possibly DX only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:20 pm 

85mm f1.8 AF-S

I'd like that a lot. I've read a lot about the old 85 1.8 frontfocusing, and I've seen it in my unit too (sold it for other reasons though, and still want one again regardless of the AF problems).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:49 pm 

I'd like to see an 85mm DX too, that would be something that I'd be interested in picking up.

- Ansel Adams