Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: SD Card Help?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:18 pm 
I have just bought a D3100 and it came bundelled with a 4GB Nikon card. I want to upgrade to a better card ASAP. For my LumixTZ10 I needed a Class 6 for the HD Video, do I need to look for a certain class for the Nikon? I am just thinking of burst shooting etc? Can anyone reccomend somthing?
Will post some sample shots soon!
Thanks in advance!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:34 pm 

I don't think the nikon card is bad, but if you must get a new card, a Sandisk class 4 or class 6 sounds good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:17 am 
I've always been under the impression that class 6 cards are the best for dslr's? Or is it class 4 is for dslr's and class 6 is for camcorders? I can never remember.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:20 am 

Class 10 is best, but class 6 is sufficient. It is only a recommendation by Nikon, you are not limited by using only a certain class cards. I would say try out your card to see if it does what you want it to do, not just stare yourself blind at numbers alone. As for Burst shooting, doesnt the D3100 have only a few fps, so there isnt a need for a fast buffer cleaning?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:02 am 

Well, the class system indicates the absolute minimum sequential writing speed the card has to maintain. So class 4 writes at AT LEAST 4 megabytes/second. Class 6 at least at 6 megabytes/second.

However, I have found that my Sandisk class 4 card writes with about 10-11 megabytes/second. It's a little bit faster than my transcend class 10 card :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:43 pm 
For my 3100 I use class 4 cards. The only issue I have is when converting from RAW it does seem to take a little long. Could this be fixed by say a class 6 or 10 or would I not notice a big difference? Or, is it my computer itself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:57 pm 

RAW conversion on your PC should have nothing to do with the card. You just transfer all the files to your PC, and then edit them.

NEVER edit pictures directly from the card, this means multiple writes to the same area on the card and can severely decrease the life span of the card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:11 pm 

Having two 'noname' Class 6 cards mine (SDHC) are dropping frames. so my advise is to get at least a Class 6 Sandisk card. It'll be worth every penny!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:43 pm 

I use the new SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-1 sdhc card (UHS-1 is faster than class 10) and it is absolutely flawless. If you are looking for a cheaper alternative the Transcend class 10 sdhc cards are very good value for money and I have had no problem with mine.

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin