Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:46 pm 

Went out with a friend last night just to muck around and do some night time exposures and learn a little. I took my D7000 and he had a Canon 500D. All was well until until it was very dark and we needed exposures lasting longer than 30s. Both using tripods of course I have a remote, ML3 I think it is, so decided to try and use this also when exposures go bigger than 30s.

Two problems I came across. Once set the camera for ---- which is when you are using the remote I didn't know really what to do. Do you press the remote shutter once and then hold it down until you want to take the photo and then release it, or do you press fully once to start and fully again to finish.

Another thing I noticed with my mates Canon, was it counted the seconds for you where as I couldn't for the life of me, find how to do this on the d7000 menu, is it possible?

I looked up the manual as soon as I got home but couldn't find anything. Does this mean you have to count in the dark? Surely not?

Any assistance would be appreciated as I am new to this and am trying to learn...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:17 pm 

I found this while searching for the answer.

"Well I think I figured out my own question. In "--" mode, it's Time mode which if I use the ML-L3 and press it once, it starts the exposure and then pressing it again, ends the exposure. I think the confusion I had was that I was pressing the remote so hard it was sensing both presses. But if I'm more diligent about pressing the remote gentle, I can get it to start and end when I want it to."

So want to know, does the Nikon D7000 count the seconds for you on this mode or BULB mode? Is it a menu setting somewhere?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:21 am 

If it is not in the manual, or if you cant find it in the menus yourself, it is not there (99,9% of the cases).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:44 pm 

No you don't need to hold the remote button down. Press once to open then again to close shutter.
If you have it set in main menu to `mirror up`, you press to lift the mirror first....then again to open the shutter.

Have you got the `beep` set to ON? (might be useful when it's pitch black)

I struggled to even see the dial at night, :shock: so bought a head torch.
There isn't a seconds counter, but it would be useful as you say.

I'm STILL trying different settings & getting to know my camera. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:33 am 

Yeah just disappointed at my mates Canon 500D had a counter on his rear screen so he could just see how long he was leaving the exposure for and then just hit his wired remote when he had got to 45 secs or a min etc.

Thought a camera probably 2 or 3 years newer would have this feature especially when you are in the darkness...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:30 pm 

Use the stop watch on your phone?

'Bulb mode' is what you use when going over 30 seconds. Some remotes have a lock you slide up to begin, you can then let go until you're done, just slide it back down and the shutter closes. Others require you to keep the button pressed.

Seriously, just use a phone or actual watch to keep check on the time. It's nothing amazing that some models count it for you really.

Worry more about keeping the tripod dead steady and look into using mirror lock up for shooting [not cleaning] and you'll get sharper shots.

Nikon D90: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Vivitar 70-210mm f/3.5, Next up: Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D