Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:24 pm 

The D3 has no built-in flash, so if you mount a D3 to the 14-24mm you will almost certainly have no prob with the lens-shade casting a flash-shadow...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:43 pm 

Oooh boy, I've seen a preview of the MTF50 resolution figures of my 14-24mm currently being tested by Klaus Schroiff, and they look incredible :shock:
Border resolution (on DX-sensor) is always (all FL, all apertures<=8 ) above 1950 LW/PH (=excellent), at 14mm even the extreme corners.
I think not one single lens has shown comparable res at www.photozone.de
The 17-35mm is comparable in centre-res but no match for the new lens at the borders if you view the diagrams side-by-side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:07 pm 

Klaus Schroiff wrote:
It is the sharpest ultra-wide angle lens tested to date. The resolution figures are simply stunning and unprecedented specifically at 14mm and that's straight from the maximum aperture setting.

The full report is out, looky here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

That's great news Thomas - you must be very proud! Now when are you going full-frame?!

PS - didn't he used to say who supplied the lens? I couldn't see your name there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:46 pm 

Yep, Klaus just forgot. It's up now :D
FX is for me only when I see the other bodies from Nikon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:39 am 

There's an interesting series of tests of the Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 G at the 16:9 site. It's compared with the Canon 24mm L, the Sigma 12-24mm, the Canon 14mm L II, the Canon 16-35mm f2.8 L II, the Contax Vario Sonnar 17-35mm f2.8 and the Contax 21mm f2.8. Phew! And just to add the icing to the cake the reviews were done using that ultimate full-framer as far as sensor resolution goes, namely the Canon EOS 1Ds MkIII. :shock:

Bottom line seems to be that Nikon have designed a truly remarkable lens which easily justifies its price. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:51 pm 

Yeah, the real nice thing is that they tested the lens with a FF and high resolution body - something we Nikonians still have to wait for :cry:
---------
On another note...
I finally got my D80 back from Nikon service (after 4 weeks :cry: ) and they had to adjust the aperture lever, renewed the CPU "contacfpc" (?), adjusted the exposure system, updated the firmware, remapped dead pixels and adjusted the optical system. All at no cost :D
So the lens was ok, but the body was not.
What I expected after experiencing the exposure misbehaviour on too many lenses...
I also made some test-shots with the 14-24mm on my brand spanking new D300 and everything seems a-ok :D :D

So apart from the weight...
..ah yes, and the price...
....ok, plus the bulk...
......and well apart from the missing filter-thread...
now there is nothing that should hold you back from getting this ultimate ultra-wide zoom :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:54 pm 

Thomas wrote:
...I also made some test-shots with the 14-24mm on my brand spanking new D300 and everything seems a-ok :D :D

So apart from the weight...
..ah yes, and the price...
....ok, plus the bulk...
......and well apart from the missing filter-thread...
now there is nothing that should hold you back from getting this ultimate ultra-wide zoom :D :D :D

Hey, Thomas! You kept that quiet (or I wasn't paying attention). Congratulations on getting that D300. Looking forward to loads of pictures and an update on your D300 First Impressions. Great news. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:39 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah I thought I spotted Thomas saying he'd got a D300! You kept that one quiet!

We demand a User Review explaining why you chose it, and whether it was a good upgrade from the D80... I honestly thought you'd go full-frame!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:01 am 

Gordon wrote:
I honestly thought you'd go full-frame!

There was also the kitchen in need of renovation :roll:
--------------

Btw: I've done as you wish! Looky here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:45 am 
Many thanks, Thomas, for this great review. You've had the lens several months now, so perhaps you can report how you deal with the lack of a thread for a protective filter? I have always been paranoid about scratching an unprotected lens.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:51 pm 

Easy: Just use the lens-cap whenever you're not shooting...
The "greater" prob in the past months is that the lens-hood cannot be taken off for lens-cleaning. It gets a little in the way...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:26 pm 
Hi all - was clicking around looking at lens reviews and came across this site (looks very handy btw!), and thought I'd comment.

I had the Tamron for a while with my Pentax K20D body. I sold it as I switch to Nikon (D700). My results were in line pretty much with what you guys said. Fantastic optically, especially for the price, but dodgy with focus especially under low light. Having said that though, I kept it and would still have it if I didn't go to Nikon. I might actually buy it in the Nikon mount even, as like you said there are not a lot of choices out there. The reason is that for what I shoot (bike racing, live music, and architecture) AF is not a necessity. Once you got used to it the lens handles very well. I was even able to track focus racers through corners once I practiced with it (best way to shoot racing though is to focus on a spot on the pavement and then rattle off the motor drive as the racers come through that spot). So it seems there are 3 basic choices. Here are the pro/cons as I see 'em:

Sigma - fast focus, not so hot optical quality
Nikon - Good optics + VR (something I do use). WAAAY spendy.
Tamron - Good optics. No VR. Poor AF.

I haven't looked at Tokina's offerings the 70-200 2.8 range - don't even know if they have any.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:50 pm 
Welcome to the forum ravenmore. Judging from the content of your post, are you referring to variants of 70-200 2.8 lenses rather than the 14-24 2.8? If so, I can move your post into the appropriate thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:26 pm 
ooop - sorry. had multiple windows open. :oops: Yes, please move it - sorry for the confusion. I was also looking at the Tamron 70-200 thread, which is what I meant to reply to.