Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:07 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 35  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:20 pm 
d7000 I like it for what it is, its got all the right stuff. I looked at the pics from chase and i got to say, at 3200 iso this camera rocks. Its got video which i'm not big on, but as a camera i really like it. Now some here are saying this is a d90 replacement, i don't know if this is true. But looking at the spec's of this camera it would be a great up grade in my book. D90 has aluminum alloy and plastic body and the d7000 has magnesium alloy top and rear plates. I know its not the same as full magnesium body, but any magnesium alloy is better then none in my book. I don't know if its a d90 replacement or a new line of semi pro cameras, but looks like nikon is trying a little harder then some others to give its user's what they have come to expect from a $1000 plus dollar camera. I'm just saying, I think in my book its more bang for the buck, and I now know why joe mcnally says Nikon loves you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:16 pm 
I'm sorry if I missed it, but did anyone see if you can specify non-CPU lenses on the D7000?

Anyone who wants to take advantage of some of the inexpensive large-aperture manual lenses out there or even old-but-excellent inexpensive MF Nikkor lenses, would be wise to check if the D7000 can handle metering for them, like their older siblings D300 and up.

I'm personally getting info manual focus lenses more and more and the $750 F0.95 Noktor - which might come in a Nikon mount soon - would be an important candidate..and the many Samyang F1.4 MF lenses as well...

The D90 doesn't...

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:28 pm 
Hi, here's a link to the full specs: http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/digitalcamera/slr/d7000/spec.htm

As for lenses compatibility, it does not provide full compatibility with non-cpu lenses, this info is directly taken from the spec page of the link above:
  • DX AF NIKKOR: All functions supported
  • Type G or D AF NIKKOR: All functions supported (PC Micro-NIKKOR does not support some functions); IX-NIKKOR lenses not supported
  • Other AF NIKKOR: All functions supported except 3D color matrix metering II; lenses for F3AF not supported
  • AI-P NIKKOR: All functions supported except 3D color matrix metering II
  • Non-CPU: Can be used in modes A and M; color matrix metering and aperture value display supported if user provides lens data (AI lenses only)
  • Note: Electronic rangefinder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:00 am 
This looks good. The D90 may get a worthy successor. But, to answer Gordon's question, as a D90 owner, I do not think I will get it. Don't get me wrong, I think that on paper this is one of the most exciting Nikon launches in a long, long time. However, I think most D90 owners will either stick with it (as it is still a very capable DSLR) or, in time, upgrade to a full frame. For those who are on the DSLR market for the first time or are upgrading from, say, a D5000, it definitely looks like the best thing around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:31 am 
Hi Gordon. I'm new. And I'm going to bite: I think I will buy one. I had done a lot of research (thanks for the help with that) and had decided on the Canon 2Ti (it was close between that and the D5000), but was waiting for October to come with the next round of rebates (credit goes to a site called The Digital Picture for learning about Canon rebate time frames). And then what should come along, but two new releases, the 60D and D7000.

As well as being new to the forum here, I'm also new to dSLRs. But not a total novice, in that I've often used the manual settings on my 2003 4.0MP Olympus C4000. So although I initially thought that upper-entry-level would be a good place to start, the new Nikon mid-level is now calling to me.

And it really won't cost much more: I had determined that the T2i was going to be a body purchase along with a better-than-the-kit lens, the EF-S 15-85mm zoom. Total: $800 + $720 = $1520. But based on the D7000 coming with a better kit lens, a lens which you review as being not significantly different from the Nikkor AF-S DX 16-85mm, I think I shall just stick with the D7000's kit lens. Total: $1500. (So there will only be a cost difference if Canon ends up offering the rebate I was hoping for on that 15-85 lens.)

Does it sound like I'm making a good choice?

Also, does anyone know if there's risk in not pre-ordering? Do dSLRs quickly become "out of stock" shortly after their release dates, or are there usually enough to go around?

And Gordon, is there a general time frame that you anticipate between the release date and your review being completed? Should I maybe wait for the Camera Labs D7000/60D comparison before buying just to be sure? Certainly the D7000 as advertised sounds much more appealing to me personally.

In any case, when ordering time comes, you can count on me to order through the links you provide! Your work is greatly appreciated.

Peace!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:53 am 

I believe the video auto focus when changing focal lengths, I did not see any zooming on the Chase video clip, only panning. Be interested to see a demo of zooming and the auto focus.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:01 am 
cfiles, the kit less that will come with the D7000 will be the 18-105VR. It's superior in every way to both Nikon and Canon's 18-55, yet not as classy as Nikon's 16-85 or Canon's 15-85 (Gordon's reviewed both of them, perhaps you'd like to take a look).

Also, the 2Ti is a great camera, but both the 60D and the D7000 simply play in another league, it depends of what you want or need. The 2Ti + 15-85 is certainly a very desirable combo, and you'd be starting you lens colection with a very good one. On the other hand, with the D7000 + 18-105 the lens would not be as classy (thouh still very good), but the body would certainly be better. You have to ask yourself several questions: Would you take better advantage of the wider end of the 15-85 or of the longer reach of the 18-105? Do you really want or need the extra features of the 60D or the D7000 or would you be happy with what the 2Ti offers you? For future upgrades, which lens lineup do you like best, Nikon's or Canon's?

My advise is that you go to your local dealer and take a good look of all the gear you're considering, if the D7000 or 60D are still not there, you can have a look at the 50D and the D90, which have similar size, weight and user interface to those of their successors. All the cameras you are considering are great IMHO, so the way they feel in your hand should be a key factor in yout decision. I personally fell in love witn Nikon ergonomics the moment I held one for the first time, but that's just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:33 pm 
Hi beren, thanks for your thoughts! I agree totally with your comment about "playing in another league", and I am quite sure that I have now dismissed the T2i as an option: I think the choice is now between the two new models. I had initially chosen it over the 50D and D90 because it had some updates that those two were missing, but the advent of the 60D and D7000 has taken care of that.

Gordon's "verdict" on the Nikkor 16-85 does indeed name that lens as being better than the 18-105 kit lens, but as Gordon says "not the difference between night and day". So although I would certainly be glad for the additional two mm at the wide end... I'm not sure that I would be $300 glad.

But I don't know... perhaps if my next lens (uh... next year probably) is going to be a telephoto (AF-S 70-300, I suspect), then maybe I ought to consider shelling out for the aforementioned additional two mm.

Regarding the 60D/D7000 body choice: that's wise advice about stopping by a local place to see them. On paper I certainly more in favor of the 100% viewfinder coverage, 6.0fps, greater AF coverage, more sophisticated metering, and slightly tougher build... vs the articulated screen (which I admit would be nice). Question becomes, then, is it safe to make a decision based on what's "on paper"? I suspect, with companies like either Canon or Nikon, that the answer is "yes". But I'm open to opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:43 pm 
I'll second with what beren have said bout lens lineup, which in my opinion the most important factor of choosing a system over the other.

Although currently canon and nikon are pretty much head to head in the zoom department, while canon only has some edge in exotic f1.2 primes. I hope you keep the concept in mind when you make the decision.

I'll suggest playing with both system higher end cameras and see which one you like better. In the end, buy what you are happy with! The important thing is you're happy with what you will be using for a long time to come :)

Post subject: Slobber......
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:08 pm 
Man, I am digging what I am reading about the D7000. As a D90 owner, I'll definitely being biting on this one, but probably not until next summer.(I should be able to save the money for it by then....lol) At that point in time, the D90 will become my second body, and the D7000 will be my main. Or I might sell the D90 body, as that would allow me to pickup the D7000 much sooner than next summer.

Can't wait!!!! Looks like a really nice upgrade.....love some of the new features! And the price point is excellent, imo. Would be a ton of fun to rent one out for a week or two to play with. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

PS - Chase commented on that page that he rarely used the AF while filming, instead preferring to manually pull focus. I really hope Nikon has managed a technical coup in usable contrast-based AF while filming, but suspect it may not be as good as we're all hoping. But even if it ends up disappointing in this regard, the rest of the specification still looks very impressive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:56 pm 

Autofocus is nice for close up video shooting I would assume, with a clear subject in view.

Post subject: DX full frame??
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:02 pm 
Hello Gordon,

In your review video you explain that the D7000 is Nikons second full frame camera.
You really confuse me here.
I allways thought that FX is full frame and the D7000 is DX format, so you have the 1.5 crop factor.

Can you please explain?

regards,

Hans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:07 pm 
Hansham, you do mean D700 and not D7000 no? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:28 pm 

Exactly, Gordon didnt make a D7000 video at the moment of writing (that I know of).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 35  Next