Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 35  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:48 am 

In idle state the aperture is at its widest, while taking the photo, the blades "close" to the set aperture.

Btw, I just realize, that there is now even a fourth sound, it is the VR element snapping back in it's idle state.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:51 am 
I recently had a D40 but gave it to a friend who didn't have a DSLR,Im now saving for the D7000 and as I got stunning prints with a 6MP D40 at 20x16" Im hoping I can get a good 48" wide print with the D7000 as it has 16MP {I have an excellent print studio just 2 mins away}.

Really looking forward to the fact the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D can auto focus with this camera too and the 100% coverage and the lovely 3" LCD screen.

Im hoping to shoot the moon through my telescope as the 16MP should allow more leeway for cropping to get a big enough image.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:18 am 

Also note, with more pixels it is easier to spot optical performance issues. So more pixels doesnt necessarily mean better crops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:15 pm 
True Wout, but it does mean "At least as good crops"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:25 pm 
Well most lenses today have a decent sweet spot at the center of the frame, it should be possible to get some decent crops, but wouk advice is sound, in Gordon's review we can see how the extra megapixels of the EOS 60D translate into no extra detail captured, at least with the kit lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:22 pm 
For lunar shots with the D7000 I will be using an APM TMB 80/480 it has no CA at any magnification and quality is simply not an issue.

Here is a heavily cropped photo of moon with a D40 and lower quality Tele Vue Oracle 3 telescope,as you can see it's soft due to the heavy cropping.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwfli ... 586990738/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:37 pm 
New APO scopes make a good tele at a fraction of cost of Nikon/Canon lens,obviously it's not a dedicated camera lens so you have not control over metering and no auto focus etc.
A simple adapter for Nikon or Canon is available.
http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/Prod ... graph.html

My own telescope NOT THIS MODEL and NOT THE TELE VUE,can show black branches against a white sky background at 250X magnification with ZERO CA,a very beautiful sight indeed.

I must stress that the NP series of Tele Vue refractors now have similiar CA performance too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:24 pm 
What is that tiny little flap right beside the battery cover for? Mine detaches from time to time when my right pinky brushes up against it.

What's that all about? Should I bring it back?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:27 pm 
Quote:
I recently had a D40 but gave it to a friend who didn't have a DSLR,Im now saving for the D7000 and as I got stunning prints with a 6MP D40 at 20x16" Im hoping I can get a good 48" wide print with the D7000 as it has 16MP {I have an excellent print studio just 2 mins away}.

I'm sorry there's no way you can make a 'stunning' 20x16 with the D40 and its 6mp. I tried making lots of prints at that size with the D40 and while they look nice far-ish away, up close they are not 'stunning'. You can see plenty of loss of detail.

I was using a pretty decent lens too, the 16-85mm VR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:54 pm 

Liquid_Turbo wrote:
What is that tiny little flap right beside the battery cover for? Mine detaches from time to time when my right pinky brushes up against it.

What's that all about? Should I bring it back?

Although for those not owning a D7000 a photo is nice, I looked it up at the D7000 manual for you.

That is the contact cover for the MB-D11 battery pack (number 7 of the english manual on page 4). No it is not broken, its just uncomfortable. Same as the remote and connection covers on the side of my D80 (call it bad design).

EDIT: Removed picture

Last edited by WoutK89 on Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:03 pm 
Liquid_Turbo wrote:
TZ2 wrote:

I'm sorry there's no way you can make a 'stunning' 20x16 with the D40 and its 6mp. I tried making lots of prints at that size with the D40 and while they look nice far-ish away, up close they are not 'stunning'. You can see plenty of loss of detail.

I was using a pretty decent lens too, the 16-85mm VR.

Im sorry Liquid Turbo, but I have a close friend who took a picture with a D1X which ended up being printed onto a billboard. Now that camera is less than 4 megapixels and substantially noiser than a D40, and a billboard is substantially larger than a 20" print. So I believe that any camera can print images of any size.

Fact of the matter is, when an image is larger, you look at it from further away, so the image quality you need for a large print doesnt need to be any better. So a 'stunning' print of a large size should be judged from what you call "far-ish"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:39 am 
Quote:
m sorry Liquid Turbo, but I have a close friend who took a picture with a D1X which ended up being printed onto a billboard. Now that camera is less than 4 megapixels and substantially noiser than a D40, and a billboard is substantially larger than a 20" print. So I believe that any camera can print images of any size.

Fact of the matter is, when an image is larger, you look at it from further away, so the image quality you need for a large print doesnt need to be any better. So a 'stunning' print of a large size should be judged from what you call "far-ish"

A billboard is viewed from many many feet away.

My point was if you make a 20" print and turn it into a book (such as I did), there simply isn't enough detail in the D40's 6.0mp to make it a stunning. It can't be compared to a D3x's 24mp making the exact same shot turning into a 20" print.

My 20" prints with the D40 all look great when viewed approx 6 feet way. When viewed up close like a book the shots could not ever be used professionally. (Quality-wise, not composition-wise)

It was actually one the main driving reasons to upgrade to the D7000. The D40's great for making prints 8.5x11 or smaller. It's absolutely brilliant for printing regular photos..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:43 am 
WoutK89..

Thanks for the help. In the diagram I was actually talking about Number 8 I just find it strange that they put the connector there since it makes so much contact with the pinky. I've already inadvertantly dettached it multiple times. I might glue it shut.

I love the D7000 but my only major complaints is the strange positioning of the metering button. Why wasn't a dedicated ISO button put there instead? It's such valuable finger 'real-estate' wasted on a metering button that doesn't get changed frequently. I kinda miss how they had the D40's 'info' button placed there.

PS. How do you quote people? Can't seem to do it here unless I do it manually. I'm running Chrome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:34 am 

I recently got a new D7000, and I think that it's a wonderful camera. The buffer doesn't fill super quickly, and I find the ergonomics to be fantastic. The ISO button is in a fine place IMO, putting the ISO button on the top is more of a Canon thing; Nikon has always put their's on the side.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:19 am 

Liquid_Turbo wrote:
PS. How do you quote people? Can't seem to do it here unless I do it manually. I'm running Chrome.

Quoting people is manually done on most browsers, except for on Safari I can still find a 1 pixel big direct quote button.

Also, the D7000 has a button for ISO, it is just a button you usually use when reviewing pictures, so a second feature for shooting is a nice way of having as much direct control without going into menus. You will get used to using it by using your camera more often.

PS, you understand now how that power connector works? The power connector is a battery with a power cord attached, and the cord leaves the body through that small hole (as on my Coolpix P5000). So never owning that accessory you can glue it shut, or if you plan to own it, use isolation tape or such.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 35  Next