Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 35  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:58 pm 

Not wanting to get embroiled in any arguments, especially on techie stuff & splitting hairs, but Wout, YOU started this by nit picking at Lee's interesting appraisal/comments, with your curt reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:19 pm 

Dang it, I just said it is CMOS, and not a CCD in official wording. I just dont see what the problem is to just say it is like that, what is there to nitpick, it was one small line.

EDIT: Even worse, this is a discussion about a DSLR, not TVs, if there is a difference, it is a difference, no matter how you put it. And that is the final word said. now back to the D7000 please, nobody else read Thom Hogan (yet? it is quite a long read) and all agree :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:50 am 
Yes I have read Thom Hogan and it is an interesting read. I said in an earlier post that I thought that the D7000 had been rushed out in time for Photokina. This met with some critical comment but Thom Hogan asks whether the camera was ready for launch and he says "BARELY". Wout it is not what you say it is the way that you say it and we are all entitled to our opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:17 am 
Well at least it livened up the D7000 thread a tad :D

I have seen lots of various reviews most seem to rate the D7000 fairly highly but there have been some issues raised, it appears to me that many come from users who have not given themselves time to get to know their camera fully and it certainly has alot of various things to learn the number of combinations of control perameters that can be set runs into thousands.

I cannot say that I have noticed any real problems with my camera other than a few minor design hiccups such as the small contact cover at the bottom of the finger rubber that (because I have largish fingers) keeps popping open, I suspect a tiny spot of super glue will cure that once the warentee runs out.
Focusiing seems to work fine for me ,if you want to wave it about it will hunt but so does any auto focus camera.
As for Hot Cold or indifferent Pixels its not something I have noticed so it is not a problem. Even if it has a few out of 16.9 million it would only show if you went pixel hunting and I refuse to fall into the trap that I did as a HIFi fanatic it the 60's were I ended up listening for hisses and pops rather than listen to the overall clarity of the music.

I have never had a camera that was perfect (that includes a Blad, Lieca & RB67) nor have I had a camera that didnt take (for me) several months to master thoughly to my satisfaction.
So as has been the case many reviewers revisit the camera after a period of use to give a better apraisal having had time to get to know the camera better.
Has the camera been released too soon as mr Hogan suggests? IMO its a camera that could be slighlty improved but the basic unit is very well equipped and built, and once you learn it's limitations can produce terrific results (with the previso of having a decent lens on the front)
Its about (imo) the best amateur DX camera that is on the market currently, so was it released at around the right time?. For me yes it was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:28 am 

Me too had the idea some other reviewers just put a review up to be the first and get traffic, thats what I like about gordon's review at least, he took his time and I trust his opinion more than that of Dpreview's. I mean come on, comparing it mostly to the D300s is not what this camera was for, it is for people coming from D90 or lower/older. Besides the buffer running out fast, which is only a problem for a small portion of all people wanting a camera like this, the D7000 outperforms all previous iterations in the enthusiast segment of Nikon, and that is what we want, continuous improvement. But I will keep my money down for a D400 someday, as I start to notice in the winter that also a bigger body is a big advantage when wearing gloves.

EDIT: to let you owners of the D7000 know, the Firmware 1.01 is available for download.
Change the page to your own country to prevent any problems with the download.
Windows version
Mac version
Nikon Europe wrote:
The following improvements have been made in A and B firmware Ver. 1.01.
- Bright spots were sometimes noticeable with movie recording of especially dark scenes or subjects. Occurrence of this issue has been reduced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:24 pm 
Thanks for the firmware tip W no harm in keeping up to date I'll plug into the net later today and give mr D an early christmas present.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:37 pm 

Very funny guys, who needs pantomime to make you smile :lol:

John :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:23 am 
I just picked up a D7000. It has hot pixels during low light video recording!! Very dissapointing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:49 am 

Yes, some people have been complaining about hot pixels at high ISOs in video. None the less, it's still a great camera. I'll be picking one up in January!

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:55 am 

Liquid, did you run the firmware update? Do you see these pixels during live view as well? And do these pixels show up on your photos in the same spot? Can you show us a sample and what settings was it taken on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:58 am 
Is that hot pixels you see in real world examples, or did you set the ISO as high as it would go and shoot a blank screen/lens cap to look for them? I hope it wasnt the latter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:30 am 
It showed in Live View, when I was just shooting a dim video in the living room. I decided to take a video in the dark and it was very obvious. Ran the firmware update and now it's undetectable!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:42 am 
Question: when in live view and then taking a picture, is the shutter supposed to return with a loud-ish 'clunk' afterwards?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:41 am 

The shutter doesnt clunk, that is the mirror flapping.

EDIT: when taking a picture, there are three components moving, Aperture-blades (press DOF-preview button to hear this sound), Mirror flapping up and down and the shutter moving (but I think this sound should be least obvious of the three).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:06 am 

When shooting with the viewfinder, the mirror shoots up and the shutter opens to expose the sensor, and the mirror flaps back down and the shutter closes. In live view mode, the shutter comes closed and the mirror flaps down, and they then open and go up. The aperture blades simply, in both cases, get larger and smaller.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 35  Next