Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:54 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:05 pm 

Quote:
...beer goggles,...

???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:09 pm 

tombomba2 wrote:
Quote:
...beer goggles,...

???

Beer goggles. They generally strike in bars after you've had a few. Women look better.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:10 pm 

Ah, ok! And then you take off the hood :?: :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:35 pm 

tombomba2 wrote:
Ah, ok! And then you take off the hood :?: :oops:

It's OK. I don't think it's very funny either. It was last night, lol.

Post subject: hi Gordon , hi tombomba2
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:53 pm 
Hi Thomas, Hi Gordon
I think u guys are very close to make me happy man.
I just created an account to Flickr.com and downloaded some of the pictures i made with my new D200 .
Pleaase advice me where i did wrong and what i shall do.This way i can learn some of the world photography.Thank you so much for this.
I don't know what parameters of the shot are ? How can i tell u ?

PS:im new in USA and im learning the english language so some of the words i might not get them properly.Thank you for your patience Thomas and Gordon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8709736@N03/?saved=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:12 am 

Hi.

Looks to me as though your camera has focused on th moving boat at the bottom of the frame. I think. I'm not familiar with that particular lens but were all the other photos shot with the same lens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:59 am 
Site Admin

Hi Bulls, if you click the bit on the Flickr page which says 'More Properties', it will tell you what settings you used.

For your wedding shot with the boat in the foreground, Flickr reports the following:

Exposure: 0.25 sec (1/4)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 200 mm
ISO Speed: 100

An exposure of one quarter of a second is VERY slow, which is why the boat is blurred - it's actually moved during the exposure, although I have to say I think the result is very attractive!

Unfortunately though the exposure is just too slow for you to hold it steady when zoomed all the way in, even with VR switched on. VR is good, but it cannot perform miracles! So the blurring you can see is actually camera shake.

Due to the sensor in your D200, you're effectively working at 300mm with your 18-200mm lens zoomed all the way in. Without stabilisation, you would really need an exposure of at least 1/250 to avoid camera shake.

This lens offers '4 stops' of compensation against camera shake, which means if you could hold it steady at 1/250 without VR, then you could hold it at 1/15 with VR switched on.

But 1/15 is still four times quicker than the exposure you had, so I would expect to see camera shake in your photo.

So why has your D200 suggested such a long exposure?

Simple - it was getting dark and your ISO was set to 100. If you had increased the ISO to 200, your exposure would have been 1/8. At 400 ISO, it would have been 1/15. At 800 ISO, it would have been 1/30.

Increasing the ISO will reduce the quality, but sometimes it is necessary when you're taking pictures in dim conditions - or if you are using a lens zoomed-in to a long focal length.

So always keep an eye on the exposure reading in the viewfinder or on your top screen. If it's below, say, 1/30 and you're zoomed-in, you should increase your ISO to avoid camera shake.

Otherwise though I think this photo is really good - a nice composition and I actually like the way the boat has moved during the exposure.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:15 am 
Site Admin

PS - the same thing has happened with the shot of the moon.

See: http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=532437337

It's a perfect exposure and a nice composition, but the exposure is even longer on this one - 2 seconds. Even zoomed-out, there's no way you can handhold an exposure this long, so you have two choices.

1: Increase the ISO until you get an exposure you can hold without camera-shake.

2: Use a tripod to hold the camera steady.

Cheers!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:20 am 
Site Admin

I just remembered it is possible for the D200 to set its ISO automatically, so if it thinks the exposure will be too long, it will increase the ISO.

Until you get more familiar with manually setting the ISO, I suggest you set your D200 to automatically adjust the ISO.

As I recall, you can do this by adjusting one of the custom settings: b1.

It will ask what maximum sensitivity you'd like it to use, and I'd suggest 800 ISO for now...

Check your D200 manual to find out how to adjust this custom setting, or phone (800) NIKON-UX for technical support.

I don't have a D200 here so can't guide you through it!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:49 pm 

Hey bulls, your flickr-photos are really a great help analysing your problems :!:
I think, Gordon has identified your problem correctly.
Best to switch "ISO Sensitivity Auto Control" to "On" (see Manual p. 34+ 152), set "Max. Sensitivity" to 800 and set "Min. Shutter Speed" to 1/15 or 1/30 sec, so that the D200 ups the ISO automatically when otherwise the shutterspeed would sink below 1/15 or 1/30.
That way you can safely shoot in automatic mode until late dusk.

As for focussing: I think you didn't deactivate the autofocus, so everything should be fine on this front 8)
And b.t.w.: Your camera/lens combination is fantastic. With a little training you will get great shots with it. Just consult the manual, or ask us :wink:

Last edited by Thomas on Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: tripod
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:10 am 
Hi Gordon, Hi Thomas ,
What tripod do u think i should buy(amazon?)for my D200 ?
I heard Manfrotto are the best ? True ?
What do u suggest me ?

Thank you !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:17 am 
Site Admin

Hi Bulls, I hope we solved your ISO problem...

As for tripods, we have a dedicated section on the Cameralabs forums here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=25

You're right though, Manfrotto are one of the best and that's what most of us use! Like most better quality tripods, the Manfrotto models come in two parts: the legs and the head. This lets you choose which are best for your work.

Personally speaking, I use a Manfrotto 190 for the legs and a Manfrotto 460MG for the head - this is now called a 3437 I think...

I think Thomas uses a Manfrotto 055ProB.

I've linked the names above to their pages on Amazon and if you click through to them and buy anything, they give us a small commission.

Note - there are magnesium versions of the legs which cost quite a bit mroe, but are much lighter.

Gordon

Post subject: tripod choose
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:53 pm 
now i dont know what to choose between your tripod and Thomas's tripod ?
What do u think Gordon ?
Its his better than urs ? I see its a bit more expensive than urs ....

Thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:06 pm 

My combination (see signature) is a bit sturdier, Gordons a bit lighter.
Your call...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:30 pm 
my version (the head) is much quicker to adjust!

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541

good luck bulls!

Tony

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next