Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

One advantage Canon DSLR owners have always had over Nikon was the inclusion of half-decent RAW processing software for free. Canon's Digital Photo Professional (DPP) comes free with every EOS DSLR, whereas Nikon's Capture NX was always a separate purchase which I've always felt was tight - especially for the higher end models.

Well finally Nikon has announced it will include Capture NX with the D3 and D300. Well Nikon UK will anyway.

See this story.

Reviewers around the world will have to find something else to put in the 'bad points' section of Nikon DSLR reviews!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:29 pm 
This is NEWS to me, Gordon, as I was told CaptureNX comes free with D200. I'll need to verify this with one of the local stores, later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:30 am 
Site Admin

It may have changed, but when I tested the D200 it came with Picture Project for basic conversions and a free 30 day trial of Capture v4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:50 am 

It should be free with ALL Nikon SLR's, period!

Zorro :x

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:51 am 
Site Admin

I agree, but when they don't, it gives us reviewers something to bash.

Sadly, again and again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:27 am 
Nikon should extend this down to their consumer DSLRs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:16 am 
Hi again
I've checked with my local store and they said, it depends on Nikon.
Last 2 batches of D200 shipment (according to the shop) came with CaptureNX , BUT under TRIAL version.

Guessed I was wrong, and yes, I do feel that Nikon should include it in the Cameras that can capture RAW, be in Consumer or Prosumer Market.

And Gordon, you can continue with the bashing :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:53 am 
An interesting thought. If camera manufacturers continue to redevelop and sell cameras with their own version of RAW etc, I feel they are obligated to supply some form of conversion software with the camera, the emphasis being on SELL. All manufacturers are in the market to make a profit naturally, but the non inclusion of conversion software smacks of being elitist and arrogant at the very least.
I have purchased Capture NX and embrace it as a very good program, yes, it lacks some features of the proprietary software available from Adobe etc. but it handles development and presentation of photographs very well and at a very much reduced price from the opposition.
I feel Nikon has missed the mark somewhat by trying to convert consumers who purchase their cameras into buying Capture.
Nikon !!!!! bring on a real world NEF converter to bundle with your cameras and let your software stand on its own two feet to compete with the opposition if it can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:02 pm 
When you guys say that Nikon doesn't provide RAW converters are you talking about software that does RAW conversion as well as RAW editing? Nikon does provide ViewNX and Picture Project for free and they both do RAW conversion although not much else. Having said that, ViewNX has some major problems IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:28 pm 
I think is hard to justify the multi-hundreds dollars cost of a pro RAW proccessing software when you don't make a living out of photography, Nikon and all brands should provide with decent software bundles to do this with every dSLR.

It would be interesting to get a "free" basic version of capure NX with lower-end SLR, providing enough features and ease of use for the casual photographer while providing the option of upgrading to the full featured version paying a little more.

Of course, a fully featured pro version should be provided with higher end models, the price of bodies like the D200/300/3 more than justifies it.

I'm not justifying piracy in any way, the more when I work in IT, but it's undenyable that it's tempting to fall into it when you have spent hundreds of dollars in gear and you are not provided with the neccesary tools for basic post-processing, the more if, as I said, you don't make a living with photography and only use the software from time to time or for relatively simple tasks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:38 pm 
grahamnp wrote:
Nikon does provide ViewNX and Picture Project for free and they both do RAW conversion although not much else. Having said that, ViewNX has some major problems IMO.

I should have made my post a bit clearer, grahamnp is totally correct about picture project and view, they both convert, and as he observed , view has a few flaws.
What I feel is needed from Nikon is a free and uncomplicated conversion tool that is befitting the cost of their cameras which will allow seamless integration with whichever development / enhancement software the camera owner chooses to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hold your horses! We just received this from Nikon and it's not such good news:

"Further to the press release sent on Friday detailing the inclusion of Capture NX with Nikon’s new D3 and D300 professional cameras, we would like to clarify that this is a limited offer that forms part of the initial launch campaign. The response to the offer has been extremely positive and Nikon expects the software offer to run well into 2008.

Initial shipments of the D300 and D3 will come with a product key which can be used to unlock the trial version of Capture NX 1.3. From December a CD Rom version will be included with the cameras."

When will they learn?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:54 am 
Start bashing them Gordon..
Start bashing them.. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:46 am 
Bah! Nikon got our hopes up for nothing. :evil: