Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:57 pm 

Please read this qoute and tell me if this it's true. My questions are on the bottom:

"If you have never owned a DSLR this might be a little over
your head.

I must say that I only shoot RAW (NEF files) though. If you
are looking for something that spits out terrific jpegs right out
of the camera you may be a little disappointed. I don't
believe this camera was designed for that. The image quality
(IQ) is astonishing. I print portraits as large as 16x20 using
ISO 400 and my clients are very happy."

Here are my questions:

1. Is it true that this might be a little over our head especially if you're a beginner?

2. Can D200 produce beautiful pictures using JPEG without the need to manipulate the shots using photoshop?

3. Is it also true that Canon are good for sports/action shots over than the Nikons? What I'm trying to say is, is Nikon mainly use for portraits, lanscapes, and stationary objects???

Please help....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:13 pm 

I think i've heard someone say that canons are better than nikon for sports/action but i don't really see why that would be true...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:13 pm 

No, Canons are good for...

*ducks for cover*

Source for photo: webpark.ru

Last edited by luis on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:26 pm 

Hi
I'm giving my 2 cts,

Canon - was ahead for sports / action because it was the only FF before Nikon's D3 announcement, which gave it better, err edge.

I also heard, Canon is always present at major sports events and gave Loaner to problem bodies as well as for Lenses. Not sure how valid is this though.

Ducking for cover also !
BTW - nice pic Luis - but I dont think the 4 cameras plus L Lenses gave it justice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:33 pm 

It's not my photo. I've just added the credit for it on my previous post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:37 pm 

Hi lowranking,

I think the first sentence in your quote belongs to the previous paragraph thus:
Quote:
The single best feature on this camera is the ergonomics. Everything is right where you want it, not buried in a menu bank! It is simple to use. This is a plus whether you are a pro or amateur.

If you have never owned a DSLR this might be a little over your head. Go with the D40x or D80. If you are thinking of upgrading....do it! You won't regret it.

Personally, I would place little credence in the opinion of an individual who believes that if you have never owned a DSLR you may be unable to appreciate good design and ergonomics.

Yes, I am sure the D200 can produce beautiful pictures with JPEG and no post-processing. That's not to say that pictures from any camera can't sometimes benefit from a little help after the event and sometimes it's the very best pictures that you might want to spend more time on.

While some professionals with very specific needs may be able to argue that Nikon is better for "x" and Canon is better for "y" I doubt that the rest of us with much more modest budgets will explore such limits. That's not to say that at the desired price point one may be naturally driven to one manufacturer over the others.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:36 am 

I think that Canon has taken the lead among the pros because of better product design decisions that they made many years back and also their clever marketing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

Whenever I've spoken to pro sports photographers, they've always said the AF on Canons has been better - a combination of the body and a top lens.

Whether they've done much critical testing between the brands I don't know. There's also the fact Canon may offer better support in the field and at events. Who knows? But the fact is, you only have to attend or watch a few major sporting events to see Canon's dominance in this area. Look out for the tell-tale white lens barrels at the sidelines. And this isn't just in Canon's marketing photos - it's plain to see whether you're watching sports on the TV or in person.

On the other hand, many landscape and portrait photographers seem to prefer Nikon. Maybe the metering is better.

Pros are quite different photographers to enthusiasts though. Most don't pixel-peep or worry about noise or the features we all get excited about. They also rarely spend any time arguing or discussing the point in forums - for most of them it's not a hobby, but a job which requires a certain tool.

They just want a functional camera that delivers the required result in the conditions they work. If they find something which fulfils those requirements they're likely to stick with it for some time. So you may spot a pro using relatively old or unsophisticated kit.