Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:28 pm 
Hey everyone,

I'm pretty new at photography and so far I've always used a point-and-shoot camera and I want to take it a step further and start with a reasonably affordable DSLR.

I tried several cameras and by far I liked the d40 and d80 body the best. From what I've understood, unless you're printing off posters, the d40x is really not worth it compared to the d40 since you can spend the money on the lens instead.

My budget is a bit limited, the d80 is definitely too expensive. But I do not mind spending a little extra on a good lens combination.

Anyway, to go get to the point and question:

What lens combination should I buy?

The 18-135mm lens seems okay, but a lot of reviews say that the quality is not as high and that there is quite a bit of distortion. To be quite honest I don't think I, as an amateur, would really notice. However, the 135mm might be a bit limiting and lacks VR? Most articles I've read suggested to instead buy the 18-55mm II and the 55-200mm VR together instead.

The 18-55mm II + the 55-200mm VR is inside my budget, but i'd have to carry two lenses around. What are the issues with swapping lenses in regard to dust etc? Is it a big enough issue to spend more money and get a single lens instead?

I could also get the 18-55mm II with the 70-300mm VR, which is a bit more expensive. But supposedly this is a good lens?

The 18-200mm VR is too expensive for me, but is the fact that you don't have to swap lenses really worth 600 dollars? Does it decrease dust and other issues significantly enough? Or is this just marketing trying to sell me a more expensive lens?

Any help is appreciated, if I made any mistakes... My bad, I'm just starting to learn about all of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:04 pm 

Hello Ewout_vB, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
Any of your suggested lenses + plus combinations are great partners for a D40 (or D80). Dust is certainly limited when using just one lens and not swapping it. You also have to carry less.
Soooo if you can stretch to the D40+18-200mm VR combo you'll sure be very happy!
And beyond 50mm the image stabilization is very helpful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:59 pm 
But is it worth the extra 400 dollars? Just to decrease the dust you'll get into the camera and the little weight difference?

Is it easy to clean the dust out if needed?

If i do decide to go with the 18-200mm I'd have to wait a while before I can then purchase it due to the extremely high price.

And so I've noticed that the D40 is cheaper if you buy it with the 18-55mm II than just the body alone, for 475$ or something close. Is there any place where you can buy the D40 with just the body for less?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

Sometimes the kits are cheaper than the body only - sounds mad, but that's the way it is due to sales volumes. It can be handy to have the 18-55mm kit lens anyway for a backup or if you ever sell the body.

By the way, we have reviews of all the lenses you mention which compare their pros and cons - I'd start with this one:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikko ... roup_test/

Then read the separate reviews for the others you're interested in.

As for cleaning dust, check this out:

http://www.cameralabs.com/workshops/dsl ... age3.shtml

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:59 pm 
I think the D40 is sold only as bundle with a kit lens. As far as I know, there are no D40s "body only" for sale. Ore are there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:17 pm 
I think I will go with the 18-200mm just because it's easier to work with, as an SLR is already a bit bigger to lug around and decreases the chance that I'll break something.

I might be able to buy a used 18-200mm VR, but the focus motor has been replaced and only has a 9 month warranty left on it.

Is that worth saving 100-200 dollars, or should I really buy one new?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:30 pm 

Ewout_vB wrote:
...I might be able to buy a used 18-200mm VR, but the focus motor has been replaced and only has a 9 month warranty left on it.

Is that worth saving 100-200 dollars, or should I really buy one new?

If the lens has been factory refurbished and the guarantor is trustworthy then it might be worth the $200 saving. So much depends on what you are offered if the lens goes wrong again. If the saving were only $100 I'd be tempted to buy new if the money could be found.

Does anyone have any experience of 18-200 repairs?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:40 pm 
Didn't trust the source, so didn't buy it.

Thanks guys -- I think I will go ahead and purchase the D40 with the 18-55mm II kit lens soon and then when I feel that I've waited long enough or see a nice enough deal I will most likely buy a 18-200mm VR. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:45 pm 
luis wrote:
I think the D40 is sold only as bundle with a kit lens. As far as I know, there are no D40s "body only" for sale. Ore are there?

They do sell D40 and D40x bodies alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:16 am 
Where?

I've only seen d40x bodies, all the d40s are with either the 18-55 or the 18-135.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:25 am 

Ewout_vB wrote:
Where?

I've only seen d40x bodies, all the d40s are with either the 18-55 or the 18-135.

You could try this Google search for the D40 and this Google search for the D40x.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:04 pm 
Random question:

How is the Sigma 18-200mm OS HSM ? This is supposed to fit on the D40 right? I cannot really find any good reviews, just curious how it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:26 pm 

Ewout_vB wrote:
...How is the Sigma 18-200mm OS HSM ?...

Compare the lens construction and MTF diagrams for the18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS here and the 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS/HSM here. Optically they appear to be identical - you could always give Sigma a ring to confirm this. If they are optically the same then you could try this review. As the lens is so new you might have to wait a little longer for a dedicated review.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:51 pm 
Ewout_vB wrote:
Didn't trust the source, so didn't buy it.

Thanks guys -- I think I will go ahead and purchase the D40 with the 18-55mm II kit lens soon and then when I feel that I've waited long enough or see a nice enough deal I will most likely buy a 18-200mm VR. :D

Hi, I bought myself the D40 standard kit as well and I went a couple of month later for the 55-200 VR.

My experience could not be better, I have very little time lately but I want to publish a "review" with my impression and experience during my holidays in Babaria and London.

The 18-55 is extremely light with a more than acceptable optical quality (the more if you come from compacts), combine this with the light body of the D40 and you've got probably the lightest general purpose dSLR kit in the market. You'll be capable of taking some great shots with this lens, it focus quickly and quietly and the zoom ring is always at hand for confortable use, mind though that this lens was definitively NOT designed thinking about manual focusing aficionados, the tiny grip surrounding the rotating front element is all but useless and suitable only for emergencies.

The 55-200 VR must surely be the greatest lens deal in the market nowadays, this piece of glass is just terrific! The VR, even if it's not the latest version it's light years from being obsolete, works great and really helps (or saves the day!) when shooting with the lens fully zoomed in and/or when when lighting is poor and longer exposures are needed. Even if the build quality is similar (if not equal) to that of the 18-55mm, once attached in the body it seems better, if only a step or two above: It comes with a hood, it has G R E A T ergonomics (huge, precise and confortable zoom ring), fixed front element that allows to use any filter you want, and extremely reassuring (as Gordon always points out when reviewing stabilized lenses) through-the-lens VR... The bottom line is that I always like it when I have to switch to this lens and a bit sorry when I need to switch back to the 18-55mm, it's that good! :mrgreen:

It's not all good news of course, I don't mind changing lens when needed but I must confess that there's been many an occassion in which I've longed to own the 18-200 VR, to the point that I ended up missing or renouncing a shot because I didn't have the proper lens attached at the moment (sigh). The greater confort and flexibility of the 18-200 VR is undeniable, but if you've got a tight budget and/or you're new to SLR as I was when I bought them, then the combination of these two lenses will give you more than enough to play with at an almost unbeatable price, and the most important thing, you'l get excellent results.

Bye.