Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:37 pm 

:D I know the D-300 having used one for a weekend on & off :roll: The D3 & D-700 i know "of" :)

Ive just been looking at lenses for my D-5000 & they are expensive :shock: :shock:

When i bought lenses for my Nikon F & Nikormat they also go for my new electronic "F" the F3 the images are excellent The lenses bought new & used are in good order still today :)

I also have a possibility to buy more lenses from a friend i expect i will buy them as the price is very good 4 for 200? more or less :D :shock:

The snag i cant use them with the D-5000 BUT i could use them with a D-300 :) or D-3 D-700 :?:

The D-300 body & others cost about 1500?

If i buy one & a half Nikon lenses they alone would cost 1500? a top Nikon lense could easly cost more by its self :shock: :shock:

So a D-300 which could use all my top quality leses would be a saving???

Perhaps the D-3 Or D-700 are light weight replacements for the D-300 :)

What should i do :?: :?

For the moment im going on with my D-5000 but later should i change or buy sigma?tameron plastic :?:
________
ultimate fighter

Last edited by splash on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:28 pm 
Why would lenses for your D5000 be expensive?
Nikon offers a great choice of affordable lenses. The 18-105mm for instance is ~€200 and performs very well for the price.

ps. a D3 is ~€3500 and weighs 1.24kg :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:43 pm 

:shock: That sounds very reasonable.

I have posted a question on the sigma thread as i saw a 17mm 200mm??which costs about 200? BUT all the lenses Nikon canon ive seen at the local supermarket are plastic :shock:

Before i got my D-5000 i was still thinking of Bronica large format to get even better images than from my 35mm Nikon F. I use top lenses in my enlarger fresh chemicals & new paper together the results are as i like them

The DSLR is super i really love it 8) i would today always recommend a D-3000 rather than a canon G10 or panasonic LX3 which both cost far more than the 3000 :shock:

BUT which lens?? Since using the DSLR i love the zoom & its fast reaction time (for an electronic camera) But which "new"DSLR lens will provide 24mm to 200mm (in 35mm terms) stay between f1.4 & f3.5 @ 200mm & is plastic a good lens median?

Which lens should i look at?pls

PS a Nikon D-300 today costs 1400? even a bit less but still seems to weigh about 10kgs after an hour or so :shock:

PPS D3 8) they cost soooo much :shock: :shock: i thought it was a light weight replacemnt for the D-300 :?:
________
starcraft 2 replays

Last edited by splash on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:28 pm 

Splash: I'd suggest to stay with your current D5000, as this is a very capable camera body.
As to lenses: just don't buy any lenses without AF-motor (AF-S, HSM, etc.)
The newer lenses all have an AF-motor built in and are the more modern designs. So you should be able to shoot very good photos with those.
And you already started another thread about which lenses to get for your D5000. The community here at Camera Labs will give you all their best advice there.
---
Btw.: Same question as Citruspers: Which lenses do you already own?

Last edited by Thomas on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:25 pm 

Just the excellent 18mm-55mm that i bought with the camera

I posted this after looking at the prices of lens that i saw a friend using & which i borrowed one alone cost over 2000? :shock: :shock:

Since then i looked at "cameralabs site" which i found lists lens,i checked those against price & found sigma & tameron for around 150? if they are ok optic wise i would buy one then id be a true digi DSLR user with a wide to tele zoom :)

In fact it seems it could be better to buy a lens for my D-5000 than a D-300 to use my existing ones :)

I cant aford a D-300 anyway :cry: nor a lens costing half the price :cry:

Entering the world of digi grapy is a learning curve of which im at the bottem :roll:
________
NO2 VAPORIZER

Last edited by splash on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:29 am 
splash wrote:
BUT all the lenses Nikon canon ive seen at the local supermarket are plastic :shock:

That is the usual material used these days, especially at lower prices. There doesn't seem to be a way around it. I dislike the plastic as well because it makes the lenses feel cheap and vulnerable compared to older metal lenses.
Both Nikon and Canon only make non-plastic lenses at the high end of the scale, professional lenses that are very expensive. But the plastic ones are of good quality, they just lack the feel of the older lenses. So don't be afraid of buying those. Nikon has a good reputation for its cheaper lenses. (I was very happy with the Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX.)

One alternative to plastic Nikon lenses is what Zeiss offers. All metal, high quality lenses. Those are still rather expensive and are manual focus only, but the build quality is superb.

But that is just something to keep in mind for the longer run. For now the best advise seems to be to just keep what you have and learn about all the technical aspects and prices. You can save up some money and get a feel for what you would like to have and how much it would cost.
Taking your time to figure everything out will help you save money in the long run. (It took me about a year to learn about digital photography before I bought my first D-SLR.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:26 am 

Dutch wrote:
One alternative to plastic Nikon lenses is what Zeiss offers. All metal, high quality lenses. Those are still rather expensive and are manual focus only, but the build quality is superb.

Mind you, Zeiss is not cheap either, for manual focus only, and be aware that soon the lenses will be replaced (or are replaced already) with lenses that do meter on any Nikon body (ZF.2)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:24 am 

I would like a long lens though.As zooms are now the norm a 100mm to 300mm would be good :)

As i look at lens offers i see the small sensor has produced a compact light lens that in 35mm terms will zoom from about 30mm to 350mm :)

But then the very few tests ive glanced at show less expensive non Nikon lens as not being very sharp :?

i will have to see what the nikon 17mm 105mm costs as thats a standard "packaged lense

The vast majority of my images are from towns/cities cafes buildings door ways phone boxes for those i gave up carrying a long lens just a 24mm or at times a 20mm & perhaps an 85mm in my pocket flash in the other

Today the idea of something longer than my 18mm 55mm is appealing providing the quality's as good or better :D :D BUT WHICH lens :?:
________
Ford Model Y

Last edited by splash on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:22 am 
How about the Nikkor 70-300mm? It's a really good lens for the price.
Here is a Cameralabs review of the lens...
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikkor_70-300mm_VR/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:26 am 
WoutK89 wrote:
Mind you, Zeiss is not cheap either, for manual focus only, and be aware that soon the lenses will be replaced (or are replaced already) with lenses that do meter on any Nikon body (ZF.2)

Yes, they are expensive but of very high quality.
I've seen the ZF.2 versions available already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:31 am 

They are available, not all, that was what I was trying to make clear ;-)

And about the 70-300, it is a perfect addition to your 18-55, and probably the best available regarding price and features (the only one actually for Nikon with both AF-s and VR)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:33 pm 
70-300 is also compatible with full-frame Nikon DSLRs :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:08 pm 

How dose it become compatible? With a full frame sensor :?

Dose it become 40mm-250mm in plave of 70mm-300mm with the APS sensor we have in the D-5000/D-90/D-300 :?:

I think you all have far to much money :shock:

I came hear now to ask how good the standard 18mm-105mm is :?:

I never or very rarely use a long lense unless as with a digi cam theres one in place

thats why id like a wide to tele :D
________
Toyota Kluger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:21 pm 

Dutch wrote:
WoutK89 wrote:

Yes, they are expensive but of very high quality.
I've seen the ZF.2 versions available already.

Don't overrate them. Their build quality is exceptional, but the very cheap Samyang 85 1.4 actually outperforms the zeiss in terms of resolution. It too is a manual focus only lens.

Besides, resolution isn't everything...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:03 pm 

where can i find a Samyang 85 1.4 :?:

Do you have a link to one?? To look at,would the exposure meter work on the D-5000 ??

Price wise i was just about to look at the 55mm-200mm std kit lens from Nikon seems they take good images :D

I want image sharpness & perfect colour rendition as provided with certain old non compatable nikon lenses or in digi for the while "as good as possiable" (within my buget)

A very good lens with manual focus would be perfect :D

Just tonight i was using the screen on the back to focus 8) but it wouldnt :cry:
________
extreme q vaporizer