Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:37 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:09 am 
Hi

The bottle-green colour of my car always comes out as blue on my D80. Now, before I dive in the menus and start messing things-up, is there an adjustment to the "optimize image" menu that you could recommend to rectify this issue? The only thing I changed in the "optimize image" menu is that I increased the sharpness, that's all. The other options are untouched. The current settings are:

- Image sharpening: +1
- Tone compensation: A (Auto)
- Colour mode: Ia
- Saturation: A (Auto)
- Hue adjustment: 0

Thanks!

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:14 am 
Sounds more like the white balance is wrong. Do any other colours come out weird? My D80's white balance hasn't been wrong yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:31 am 
grahamnp wrote:
Sounds more like the white balance is wrong. Do any other colours come out weird? My D80's white balance hasn't been wrong yet.

Ok, i checked the WB out and re-shot at different settings. The weather outside is sunny, 5:25PM.

- On WB Auto setting: bottle green = blue

- On WB "Sunny" setting: comes out slightly less blue. Still not bottle green, though, still definitely blue.

- On WB "shadow" setting: This setting produced the most accurate bottle-green rendition of the three settings I tried. At this setting bottle-green was - I reckon -about 90-95% accurate. But colours were generally too saturated, almost with a Sepia tinge to the picture.

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:42 am 
Try hold down the WB button and choose the "Pre" white balance setting, release the WB button than hold down again until the word "Pre" starts to flash. Then take a picture of a white object. After you take the shot the word "Good" should appear on the status screen. Do all of this where you intend to take the shot of the car. The WB should then be set exactly to the conditions of that area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:19 am 
Yep...that did it. Custom white balace fixed the problem. I got a faithful and accurate overall tonal balance with this setting. Thanks Graham!

But, what does it say about the camera's overall automatic metering?
Is this normal, that it can't get accurate colour rendition on its own - in this particular case, at least?
Are all camera brands alike in this respect? D200/D300 better?
Is, for instance, spot-metering more accurate in this regard than the evaluative metering I've been using?
Is there some sort of setting-up in the camera that I don't know about? Or is this simply part of taking photos, and "working the gear"?

Again, thanks!

EDIT: I think I might have found some answers. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

1. The calibration of my Comp monitor is probably not 100% accurate. The same can probably be said about the Nikon's lcd display, which is not intended for such a precise task. Only on a properly-calibrated monitor (i.e. with Spyder) could one say with certainty that the tonal balance is off.

2. Colour temperature of an object is not only subjective, but also is dependent on numerous variables that cannot all be possibly taken into account (humidity, air temperature, etc). The Nikon allows precise calibration of WB presets (pp.58-59 of manual) an also allows custom-setting of WB (p.60). In my case, colour temperature of WB presets needs to be increased slightly using the sub-command dial while holding the WB button, or by choosing the colour temperature setting (K) and increasing its value to push the blue tinge. Alternatively, choose Custom WB.

3. "Work the gear", read the manual. All is good with the camera. Be happy that it does have so many options to choose exactly the right colour that one wants :oops:

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:42 am 

Hi Ant1,

Not owning a D80 I can't verify this but if you want more control after the event then why not shoot in RAW (or both RAW plus JPEG if that option exists). With the image saved in RAW it is should be possible to change things like the white balance with your computer working from original sensor data as in Canon's Picture Style Editor program (remember that?).

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:01 am 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Hi Ant1,

Not owning a D80 I can't verify this but if you want more control after the event then why not shoot in RAW (or both RAW plus JPEG if that option exists). With the image saved in RAW it is should be possible to change things like the white balance with your computer working from original sensor data as in Canon's Picture Style Editor program (remember that?).

Bob.

Another great solution! Thanks Bob. Raw does allow a greater flexibility for adjustments than JPEG, doesn't it? I use Photoshop CS3. I am aware that different programs produce results that vary in quality (especially sharpness and noise from high ISO). Anyone care to comment of this topic? A favourite? Is Nikon's optional program (I forgot its name now...the trial version that comes with the D80) better-suited to work with photos out of the Nikon, i.e. it's been "tailored" for the Nikon?

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:12 am 
Nice to hear you've fixed the problem. I agree with Bob though, its much easier to shoot in RAW and adjust later than to change the white balance between every shot. If you use Lightroom, all it takes is one click.

Ant1 wrote:
The calibration of my Comp monitor is probably not 100% accurate. The same can probably be said about the Nikon's lcd display, which is not intended for such a precise task. Only on a properly-calibrated monitor (i.e. with Spyder) could one say with certainty that the tonal balance is off.

I think I read somewhere that Nikon's monitors are factory calibrated. May not be true but it would make sense. To my eyes, the screen has been true to life for almost all of my shots.

Quote:
"Work the gear", read the manual. All is good with the camera. Be happy that it does have so many options to choose exactly the right colour that one wants :oops:

When the camera lets you fine tune so many variables and settings, gone is the excuse "It's the camera's fault" :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:15 am 

Capture NX is what you're looking for. Version 1.3 is about to land anytime now. Also, set your in-camera WB to "Cloudy", that'll fix the problem. I have always used that setting, irrespective of the weather.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:25 am 

WB is a very tough nut to crack and I've read about various other cameras also having their fair share of challenges :wink:
Me, I shoot RAW and never bother about WB, as even your eyes will cheat you in a specific situation in the field. When I come back home to my monitor I use CaptureNX and can easily and non-destrutively change that setting in the privacy of my own home. Plus can compare to other shots that I like and adjust accordingly.
I'll never turn back to anything else...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:55 am 
grahamnp wrote:
. I think I read somewhere that Nikon's monitors are factory calibrated. May not be true but it would make sense. To my eyes, the screen has been true to life for almost all of my shots.

Interesting...because my car's bottle-green colour looked blue on the Nikon's lcd too, not just on my computer's monitor.

zorro wrote:
Capture NX is what you're looking for. Version 1.3 is about to land anytime now. Also, set your in-camera WB to "Cloudy", that'll fix the problem. I have always used that setting, irrespective of the weather.

I was going to ask about that. I have Photoshop CS3 - although I haven't used it very extensively as yet. Question was whether some of you think that some programs deliver better results than others, especially in terms of sharpness and high ISO noise. This site (http://www.dpreview.com) also reviews camera gear, and they use different programs to work raw images, for comparison's sake (not with all cameras though). The results vary, sometimes by a great deal.

Do you think that Capture NX would produce better results out of the D80 because it might be better "optimised" for it than Photoshop is? (i.e. Nikon software for Nikon camera). If it's better tan PP, where do you get it? Is it part of the CD that came with the D80 (I havent installed it yet as it might not be compatible as yet with the new "Leopard" Mac OS)

BTW, I read somewhere that it is raw, not RAW. RAW - with capitals - would denote an acronym which, apparently, raw isn't. JPEG, for instance, is. True?...

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:13 am 
Off - topic

Zorro, I had a quick look a your pictures. Some of them are very impressive. Without wanting to derail this thread, I wanted to ask you how you got them so sharp and vivid? Which lens did you use, for example, for that "Den" shot? I do sense that you don't like to talk tech?...Is that why you put "accoutrements" in your signature? :wink:

a.

Last edited by Ant1 on Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:25 am 

That certainly are interesting questions and if zorro does give us some hints I think it warrants a new thread. Thing is I'm not sure where to put it. I'd suggest the landscape section, and opening a thread "Zorro's blog about shooting (great) landscapes" :wink:
What's your opinion, zorro?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:26 pm 

I agree, it is a good question. Not one I think I can easily answer. The Den shot in particular was just a "snap" really. Crucially though, it was only one of a great many "snaps". The law of averages and all that. I used my Sigma 10-20mm at the wide end (is there any other?) and breathed out before hitting the shutter-release. That's it really. It's very easy to over-analyze a shot I think. There are shots I've seen out in the field that I know are grteat and just need that bit of detail thought put in to make them so. Unfortunately during the process something is lost and when I get home I can't manage to extract the image I saw on location. C'est La Vie.

Another thing to remember is that you're never going to achieve 100% results. If I go out and shoot say, 100 photos, I'd be happy with 10 that were good enough to work on in PP and I'd be even happier if 5 of those are submittable. Maybe that's aiming a bit low but I'm not a professional, I just like the physical activity of taking photographs. Horses for courses I guess.

As to Capture NX. I love it. It certainly has one of the clunkiest UI's out there but for Nikon users it's unbeatable. I haven't tried any direct comparisons with ACR in PSCS3 but what is unique about Capture NX is it's ability to show the settings you actually used in the camera. You can then see immediately what your camera is doing and adjust the in-camera settings to suit. I'm also a big fan of the Control Point features. Once you've tried them you'll probably fall in love.

Check out some of the tutorials for Capture NX at the site below -

http://www.capturenx.com/

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:36 pm 
Thanks for input, Zorro. Interesting, about the Sigma 10-20mm... Here's part of the conclusion for its review at this site:http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_1020_456_nikon/index.htm

"The Sigma AF 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX HSM DC showed a good though not stellar performance on the Nikon D200..."

In your opinion, what makes it so good? I guess the proof is in the pudding when looking at your pics, but I am curious about the difference of opinions between yours and that of the review.

Re: Capture NX. Do you think it's a better proposition - to use Gordon's words - than Photoshop? Or is it just better with the D80? What about picture quality? Does it differ when processed with one program or the other? Which is better?

A.