Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: D200 "Banding"
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:45 pm 
I can't find much current status on this subject. Does it mean that the "banding" issues of the D200 are fixed/corrected/banished?
If so since when (serial no./date?)
I would like to buy the D200, but will definitely avoid it if the first thing I will have to do is to get it fixed/repaired because of "banding".
Please comment.
otto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:23 pm 

Hi Otto,

A warm welcome to the CameraLabs forums.

I wasn't aware of this issue until your question but a quick search on the Net turned up this answer (click the link).

In summary, this only affected early production models and
    If you experience this, Nikon will, without charge, evaluate your camera to determine if adjustment to the camera’s image output level is required. Adjustment, if required, will optimize the camera’s image output level, thereby reducing visible banding to a minimal level.

Nikon Technical Support personnel can evaluate an affected image file to (1); confirm that your concern is associated to vertical line artifacts and (2), if adjustment to the camera’s image output level will address the condition.
Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject: Re: D200 "Banding"
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:50 am 

otto uberswengen wrote:
Thanks Bob,
I really wanted to know "Officially" from someone, if this "banding" issue is properly fixed or whether Nikon has somehow brushed it under the carpet by saying "if you have it then we'll adjust it..."
I hope this is not too much to ask.

I have read the official response from Nikon but no where do they ever say that this problem is rectified totally in D200's after a certain date/serial number or even "vastly improved" after adjustments.
OTOH I have heard nothing about "Banding" concerning the D80,D70,D40's...
Therefore, I am wondering if the D200 is too much trouble (potentially) for the amount of money being asked.
If the problem comes with the camera, I would prefer to buy the D300, even though "Live-view" is something I'll end up paying for which I do not actually need.... otto

Hi Otto,

I've quoted your reply from the new thread you created and added it to this, the original thread. It helps to keep all replies in a single thread so that people can follow the conversation.

I guess the only "official" repsonse you will get is by contacting Nikon. My personal opinion is that if this was still a problem you'd be seeing recent complaints all over the Net and D200 prices would be less than the D80. :shock:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:12 am 
sorry Bob,
I did not intend to start a "new thread"...I just didn't get the hang of replying correctly within this thread.
OK, I can accept that the D200 has got the pink slip because otherwise there would be a lot more shouting and unhappy people on the forums. :oops:

otto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:05 am 

otto uberswengen wrote:
sorry Bob,
I did not intend to start a "new thread"...

Not a problem - it can be a steep learning curve if you aren't used to it. By the way, now that you've found the reply I'll delete the "extra" thread. :twisted:

Let us know how you get on and which camera you choose.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:41 am 
OK Bob, thanks...
I must say that really nice the D80 might be,
the D200 felt fantastic in my hands when I handled them side-by-side recently.
I also gather that the IQ for the D40X, D80 and D200 is very hard to
pick...(at the same settings)...so it comes down to the lens.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I tend to think that the D200 has superior
metering, focussing and wider lens choice. Also, to back that up with magnesium panels and weather sealing is a bonus.
I just don't want to be disappointed and therefore will settle for the D200 with the 17-55/2.8 as my standard lens, and add the 18-200VR when travelling.
Hope you agree.
If not, any suggestions would be appreciated.
otto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:22 pm 

Hi Otto,

Sounds like the D200 might be the camera with your name on it but, as a Canonite, I'm not really qualified to pass judgement on your shopping list.

Still, you're in the right forum so Nikonian guys and gals, it's over to you...

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:26 pm 
Nikon isn't the kind of company that cheats its customers.

Googling for D200 banding, the first hit I got was this page on Ken Rockwell's site.

If you can find a reference to this problem that is later than february 2006, please let us know.

It would seem that this problem, only felt on some earlier production models, was not noticeable at all - unless you took great pains specifically to try and make it appear, using settings you would never need in a real life situation and then looking for it with extreme magnification.

Nevertheless, Nikon took those cameras and fixed them, so that their customers could be 100% happy with their product.

But then, if you don't trust a company, don't buy from them. It's as simple as that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:13 pm 
Thanks B. an L.
I have also had the XTi for a period of time(now my neice's) and the images from that were excellent.
So I have not disqualified the 40D from my shopping list...
However, I genuinely cannot see myself needing live-view as I prefer to use the VF and review my takes on my 22" LCD desktop. Also all that viewing and stuffing around with live-view would actually stop me taking pictures when I'm travelling as well as deplete the battery.
I tend to think that body based stabilization, live-view are things which would require expensive servicing/repairs, should they SU. Personally, my FM2 and FA are brilliant in this regard as they still function like new after 25+ years! No hassles at all.
The holy-grail in my book of cameras is to get simplicity as well as utter reliability in the digital domain come Christmas 2007! :)
Is the D200 that camera?
I hope so because my cash is ready to pounce and my right index finger is ready for action @ 5FPS(if necessary!)
Great chatting to you guys and thank you for taking the time ...
L. I appreciate your "trust" in Nikon...however, I just know that some things tend to get brushed under the carpet occasionally.
It does sound like the "Banding" has been disbanded as you say...
otto