I have a Canon 40D and a Canon 17-55 f2,8. I am not pleased with the sharpness of my pictures.
but I am just thinking that because I am not pleased with the Canon equipment, I should change to Nikon.
Are you sure you are not encountering any or a combination of the following:
2) slow shutter speed
3) too small an aperture (i.e. diffraction induced softening)
4) manual focusing (our eyes don't necessarily see the best point of focus)
5) noise reduction set too aggressively and/or shooting at too high an ISO sensitivity
Consider determining the reason for lack of sharpness before jumping ship.
For instance, try the following:
1) Use self timer & mirror lock up & a tripod
2) Use autofocus
3) Use liveview and zoom in to the picture area and manually focus until maximum sharpness is obtained
4) Using a faster shutter speed