Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What is this?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:30 am 

I saw this thing just outside the lens mount ring of my D80 yesterday. Its just above the DOF preview button, it's made of plastic and it can slide back and forth within the narrow hole in the body. Its spring loaded and automatically moves back to its original position.

My Minolta 7000 has this as well but it on the inside of the lens mount(not on the mount itself) so you can't see it while a lens is attached. It's pretty much the same except it's made of metal. I'm quite sure that it controls the aperture on the Minolta because theres another one on the side of the lens which I tried moving it with my finger which then caused the aperture blades to close.

I've never noticed it until now. Can anybody tell me what its meant to do? Thanks.

P.S. Sorry for the lousy picture, it was taken with my phone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:20 am 

Hi grahamnp,

I believe this is the Depth of Field Preview button. It closes down the iris to the selected aperture so the zone that will be in focus in the image can be checked.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:55 am 

Bob, I think Graham was pointing to the small indentation to the left of the dof-button.
Well it must be some backward-lens-compatibility-thingy, because with a standard AF(-S) lens there is no function. But, yep, looking at my 50mm D-lens with the aperture ring there is a small nob that fits the mechanism on the body. As on an automatic Nikon body the aperture-ring of D-lenses is meaningless and locked to the smallest aperture the mechanism senses when you inadvertently unlocked the aperture-ring of the D-lenses and turn it. You'll see an error-message on the body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:27 am 

Isn't it a stopper to prevent the aperture ring from spinning all the way around?

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:34 am 

Nope, no "spin-stopper" (hehe, I'll trademark this as a measure to stop marketing-hype :wink: ). The aperture ring is already limited on the lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:39 am 
Thanks for the quick replies guys and yes I was talking about the more squarish button. I meant to circle it before I posted because the picture wasn't clear but I seem to have forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:46 am 

Not true. It's a Spin Stopper TM on my 50mm f1.8. It prevents an unlocked aperture ring from spinning past the minimum aperture stop.

Zorro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:57 am 

Really :shock: :?:
You can spin the aperture ring on your 50mm lens further than f16, when not mounted on the body :?:

Last edited by Thomas on Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:36 am 

tombomba2 wrote:
Really :shock: :?:
You can spin the aperture ring on your 50mm lens further than f16, when not mounted on the body :?:

I don't know, I have a Spin Stopper TM to prevent such foolishness, lol.

Zorro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:30 am 
Since this aperture control thingy is outside the lens mount how is it possible to weather seal D lenses? Or are there no D lenses that are weather sealed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:15 pm 
The little slider is the camera's AF motor I think, because the D80 and the D50 has them. If you take your 50mm and turn the manual focus ring, you'll notice something spinning on the back. As for the weather sealing, I have no clue.

Keep me posted! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:53 am 
The AF motor is on the lens mount itself. The slider is for the aperture as Thomas mentioned above.