Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: software
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:07 pm 
Hi
would like to know if Nikon do software similar to the one featured in your video tour review of Canon 40D. Your video tour shows that you can use the software to view and adjust the camera on a PC via USB cable.
Is it possible to do this with the Nikon D80 using a similar software? If so where can I purchase one.

Many thanks

Vijay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:49 pm 

Hello Vijay, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
Unfortunately you need a Nikon with live-view to do this. There is no way to get this from a D40/D80/D200 :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:04 pm 
Thanks for the advice Tombomba.

Interestingly when I just googled "nikon dslr with live view" I got this article about a LCD adapter that can be connected and controlled from 40ft away, which can be used to the same effect as that Canon 40D software.

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news. ... pter.phtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:27 am 
Thanks for the link and info Vijay.
Interesting to see all the gadgets that are available out there. And it may work out for you. But not sure about the software part. Sorry.
As useful as it is, however, I dont think I will pay for US500 for it.
:oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:39 pm 

Yeah, just save the 500USD for your upgrade to the D300 or D90 :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:16 pm 
Until recently I was planning on buying the nikon D80 body with a 18-200mm nikkor lens. Then I saw the specs of the cannon 40D at Jessops and especially liked the above mentioned software that can be sued to control the canon 40D from a PC on your video tour.

At the end of the day I am looking for a dslr camera that can take clear, high quality photos and is quite quick. This will be my first DSLR camera and I am planning to learn the various photography skills with it. Therefore I expect to keep it for 3 to 4 years before thinking of upgrading.

Do you think that I should go for the Nikon D80 with 18-200mm which will set me back £1000, the Canon 40D which is going for £950 at Jessops or wait for the Nikon D90? When do you think the D90 will be released and what are the chances of it having live view?

In my opinion extra features like the canon focusing software and live view would be nice when you have to pay close to £1000.

Which should I go for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:36 pm 

Hi Vijay, sorry! I just made up the D90, as nobody is currently knowing much about a successor to the D80. There is some speculation about features of the D300 trickling down to the D80-successor, but that's it: just speculation. I've seen no source claiming date and/or feature-set.
So if you want to enter the DSLR-world concentrate on the known bodies: D80, 40D and the known lenses (meaning there is no Nikkor VR 18-200 equivalent from Canon, not even speculation afaik)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:41 pm 
Nikon D80 with 18-200mm it is then.

Many thanks for your advise.

:D