Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:58 am 

Hello

I was considering buying a flash for my camera and Ive been looking around for some time and come up with these two choices. The Sigma flash is more powerfull as it goes to 105 mm and the SB 600 goes to 85 mm. Both have i-TTL. The Sigma is about 30 $ cheaper than the Nikon. Basically what Im wondering if I should go for the trusted Nikon brand and stay safe or risk buying the lesser known Sigma, if anyone have any experience with that flash I would appreciate some info about how it works. If I was rich I would go for the SB 800 but I spent that money on a new lens (sigma 10-20mm).

Thanks for any help.

w/r
-John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:58 pm 

Welcome John to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
Unfortunately I have no experience with Sigma flashes. I'd say you could normally expect the Sigma flash to work ok. But there is the slight nagging doubt, that Nikon has published everything a third party manufacturer needs to know to make even the more sophisticated i-ttl functions work perfectly...
But at least Sigma is a respected manufacturer, and I hope you can enjoy an excellent 10-20mm (I had one bad and now own a good copy).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:03 pm 
Hello johngunnar,

The Sigma might be risky, but if your careful, it can be worth it. As for the Nikon SB-600 it can support the Nikon CLS (Wireless triggering of the speedlight) I think, It's also fair to say that Nikon products are better than some other brand equipment, so it's up to you!

Hope this Helps! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:21 pm 

Yeah I know, its a dilemma, I think I will eventually go for the SB 600, since as, you say, nikon products (more flashes than lenses I suppose) are more reliable and of betetr quality. It would be interesting however to hear from someone who has one of the Sigma flashes, though, I guess its a sign in itself that so few buy them, maybe its not so good.

And yeah Im very excited about the lens, hopefully it will be of good quality, if not I can exchange it I guess. Ive looked around at pictures people (mostly on these forums) have taken with it and I'm impressed.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback, always good to get a second or third opinion on stuff like this, especially since I'm only a couple of months old (photo wise).

Again, thanks :)

w/r

-John