Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Which 50mm?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:17 pm 
My next purchase will probably be a 50mm prime. However, Nikon offers 3 such lenses at
f/1.2 ($590)
f/1.4($300)
f/1.8($115)
(price at Calumet)
I don’t think I can afford or justify the f/1.2, but I can consider the f/1.4. The f/1.8 is such a bargain that I am leery of its quality, but I see many people here own it. Please offer some insight into these lenses – I’d even consider the F/1.2 if it was that much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:15 pm 
I don't own a 50mm. Word on the street, however, is that the 50mm f/1.8 will keep you happy, and that the quality is the same as that of the f/1.4. You just have to settle for a slower aperture - and for paying substantially less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:27 pm 
That sounds really good Luis, because that's a big price difference for the slight increase in speed. Thanks. Except for speed are there any drawbacks with the f/1.8?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:39 pm 

Judging from test at photozone.de the 1.8 has more centre- but less border-sharpness while the 1.4 has not the peak-sharpness at the centre but sharpness is more evenly distributed and at the end a little higher at the borders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:50 pm 
Thanks Thomas, I looked at that but didn't know how to interpret it properly. There seems to be more of a trade off, than any particular advantage with these lenses. Since the f/1.4 is already very sharp, I can see that less distortion at the edges would be an advantage, but I doubt it justifies the extra cost (unless you have extra money). :roll: :lol: :shock: OR DOES IT?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:12 pm 

You should be very happy with the f1.8, indeed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:14 pm 
Thanks Thomas, I sure don't have any extra money these days -- maybe around Christmas time... mmmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:26 am 
The F/1.8 quality is great :) I would of paid twice as much for it lol.

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1178848532&size=l

That photos a good example of the quality at F/1.8 I would think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:19 am 
Nice shot antman! I've been looking at consumer reviews at Amazon.com and they agree with you, the f/1.8 is the lens to buy (and there was some disappointment over the f/1.4, especially since it cost so much more). Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:02 am 
Another 1.8D owner here. I have to agree that the quality is fantastic for the stupidly low price you're paying. I think you'll be more than happy with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:22 pm 
Thanks TelexStar. At Amazon, they were saying the 1.4 was quite soft, even veiled looking, and the 1.8 had much better contrast. Thanks for the first hand info TelexStar, at $110 I may be able to get mine sooner than I expected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:16 pm 
also remeber to buy through the cameralabs links as I did!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:27 pm 

You know that I have a set of pics from my 50mm/f1.4 here which I used for my review over there.
Many of them are at f1.4. So you can judge for yourself whether the veiling is bad or good. I love it!
There is also a very thorough test from Ken (Rockwell that is) here on all Nikon 50mm lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:55 am 
BrianS wrote:
Thanks for the first hand info TelexStar, at $110 I may be able to get mine sooner than I expected.

As Thomas says, I think the 1.4 is a good lens too but I haven't tried it myself. Like I said, I think that for the money, the 1.8 is better in terms of price/quality ratio in my opinion.

Here's a shot I took with the 1.8D

I don't know why the EXIF info is missing - I'll have to re-upload. From memory though, this was taken at f2 I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:11 pm 
Beautiful roses TelexStar! Thanks.

Fearless leader, I agree with you in principle but I'm not sure which links your referring to. If you mean advertisers on Camera Labs, then certainly! Oh wait, you're probablly referring to Price Grabber that directs you to affiliate sellers.