Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:08 am 
WoutK89 wrote:
Checking euronext.com and converting yourself gives a better view of the price :-) , GWK has the exchange rates (or whatever you call them) also included. So as far as I know, the conversion rate Euro-Dollar is now at 1,42 dollar is 1 euro. Which makes approx €1267 for the D300s

I just did a really quick check, €1267 is still a lot cheaper than the price we will see for the D300s.

Anyway, if I would consider buying a new Nikon I'd still go for the D300. The D300s doesn't really have new features that (for me) would be worth the extra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:24 am 
grahamnp wrote:
I was just wondering cos Canon seems to be making an effort to bring the cost of their semi-pro cameras (50d) down but Nikon doesn't seem to be trying.

I suppose Nikon can afford to get away with it as the D300s has equal best or the best feature set and IQ in it's class but it would be nice if they were more affordable.

I think the D300 and 50D are aimed at a different market. The D300 is clearly aimed at serious photographers while the 50D is still useful for people who like to make snapshots. That's why I find it so difficult to choose between the two. Canon offers affordable pro lenses but not the pro DX body and Nikon offers the pro DX body but not the affordable pro lenses.

I would much prefer the next X0D to be at the same price range as the D300(s) if Canon offered full weather sealing, 100% viewfinder, etc., like we see on the D300(s). But I don't think Canon wants to lose the X0D customers who mostly take snapshots and who don't want to pay for those kinds features.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:57 pm 

Personally im disappointed that they didnt raise the resolution of the sensor- i guess ill just hope that the price of the D300 decreases, so i can pick one up at some point! lol!

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27747651@N04/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:28 pm 
Robodent wrote:
Personally im disappointed that they didnt raise the resolution of the sensor

For DX format 12 MP are already enough for my needs. Although Canon 50D/500D Ahead Nikon current 12 MP DX but still got Noise issue just because greedily jump from 10 to 15 MP :shock: . So the Nikon D300s looks like a great deal to me.

As for the next D700 replacement ( Maybe soon in the future who knows ) I would be expect to have higher MP at least around 21 to 25 MP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:15 pm 

For those who have not seen it yet:

Mirages - by Ami Vitale - YouTuble
shot with a pre-release D300s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:52 am 
Yeh I didn't care much for the D300
So I bought a D300 a few days ago
I know its a little late to be buying a new one
but I didn't see a need for the movie mode or live view button
guess its just a scam to make more money

it kinda reminds me
of Microsoft XP being the d300

and Microsoft Vista being the D300s

I mean its pretty good
but not enough for businesses to switch operating systems
(in this case to switch cameras)

Nothing really great here
so I'm saying Nikon better make the D400
something pretty spectacular to grab attention
cause Nikon is gonna lose some ground here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:04 pm 

Lose ground on what?
The D300 is the best compromise in terms of image quality versus megapixels. Nikon released s-Models before and they always where just minor improvements. Additionally all their pro/enthusiast bodies have an update cycle of 3-4 years, which means there will be a D400 in 2010 or 2011. I don't think the D400 will have much more to offer than the D300 - maybe 14 megapixels. By the way, at its introduction the D300 was priced higher than the D300s.

Last edited by Bernie on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:45 am 
I mean I know D2xs D70s but like my question is who wants a video mode on a dslr I mean I know it could be useful but it reallt just hikes up the price for something that didn't need to be that high hey by the way any tips on getting superb image quality in low light on my camera? D3 owner?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:28 am 
Maybe I'm being thick, but could anyone enlighten me why you would buy a D300s at the current (ridiculous) price tag. I mean the D700 isn't very far away and the competition is priced so MUCH lower. They might have gotten away with the D300 price tag back then, but now they offer a fullframe model which costs less than 1/3rd more and the stuff from Canon is priced much lower (Yes, I know the D300s is probably better than a 50D, but c'mon allmost double the price tag? that's ridiculous).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:35 pm 
I fully understand what your saying . I love my d300 and see no need to upgrade partially because of pricei just..if there's no upgeade in resolution why upgrade. And personally I don't just think the D300s is better than the 50d I thing the D300 is better too. 50d has to many noise issues. (grainy)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:21 pm 
Uhm well yes I guess the D300 is a little bit better than a 50D allready - but then again, it's still much more expensive, too.

anyway, I guess we shouldn't be comparing the 50D and the 300Ds anyway, since the next Canon model should be announced pretty soon and will hopefully come close to the D300s or even trump it - I'm very curious how that model will be priced in comparison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:53 am 
I though the next canon model
comes out in 2010
cause didnt the 50d come out 2008?
and it comes out every 1 1/2 - 2 years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:52 am 
nah, the 50D came out just a year after the 40D and rumors of a new announcement have been around for quite some time now.

anyway, that's quite off-topic here - for any further discussions about that we should go to this thread

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:37 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, ahead of my D300s review, I'd like to share some results with you as a preview - for the D300s versus the Canon EOS 50D at all sensitivities and shot in RAW for the best quality. I will of course be updating the review once a final production EOS 7D beocmes available.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon ... oise.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:25 am 
Riiight, looks SLIGHTLY cleaner than the 50D (although that's on a pixel level). Will be interesting how the 7D compares.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next