Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:51 pm 
Hi everyone, I just got my new/used Nikon D50 and a new 70-300mm VR lens. I’m enjoying them a lot, but I have a few things I need help with.

First, I get a purple tint to many of my pictures at times.

I know that Sony sensors do this a little, but this is heavy enough I suspect I have a bad camera. What do you think?

Next, I am disappointed with the 70-300mm lens. I don’t seem to get much clarity at any range. I’ve tried shooting with a tripod so I don’t confuse camera shake with focus problems, but nothing seems to help much. Here is the very sharpest shot so far (I was able to get sharper pictures with my old P&S).

This (above) was taken 40-50 ft. from the subject at around 165mm. I always use spot focus which was on the middle brown goose.

This (below) was taken at 300mm around the same distance.

Despite my problems, I’m having a lot of fun with this camera/lens. The Vibration Reduction works fairly well, and is better in normal mode for me than active mode. I really like the big bright viewfinder. It had been billed as small, but I can manual focus with ease, when I want. For sure, the D50 is old tech, but it has enough features to meet my needs. Also, the 300mm reach of the lens (450mm equiv.) is a hoot – just right for casual nature stuff. Thanks for comments and suggestions. I’m worried the lens and/or the camera could be defective or marginal. Please comment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Brian, how do you mean, lack of clarity?

If you're comparing your 70-300 to a point and shoot, you'll notice the former has a MUCH smaller depth of field. So if you have three ducks behind each other and focus on the middle one, the ones in front and behind will probably be out of focus. And while VR will reduce camera shake, it won't stop a duck moving, so, you'll still need quick shutter speeds.

As for a purple tint, maybe there was a white balance issue. Maybe try shooting in daylight or cloudy WB, or in RAW so you can try different white balances later...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:05 pm 
I've always been able to get some part of the photo to be in good clarity, but with the 70-300 I can't get anything really good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:07 pm 
The brown duck was the focus subject but it just isn't very sharp! nothing in the shot is sharp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

Again, when you have a telephoto lens on a DSLR, you have to be very precise with your focusing. So unless there's back focus issue, I suspect the lens wasn't 100% focused on the subject. And that perhaps a slower shutter also allowed some motion blur.

Can you tell us what the aperture and shutter speed were for that shot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:14 pm 
f8 at iso 400 Also, the shot was make on a tripod using a remote with VR off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

What shutter speed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:17 pm 
Oh yes, sorry: 1/60

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry, one more Q - what focal length was the lens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:29 pm 
165mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:34 pm 

Thats why!

A good rule to have is keep your shutter speed faster than your focal length (not perfect but a good rule to have if your not using VR).

e.g. 200mm - use 1/200

Obviously if there is things in the scene moving faster, up the shutter speed, and open the aperture and up the ISO to compensate.

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:37 pm 
I understand the rule, but I spent an entire morning, about 500 shots, trying a wide variety of settings and those two pictures are the best I could get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

OK, so at 165mm, presuming you've not taken the cropped sensor factor into consideration, you're effectively working at a focal length of almost 250mm on your D50.

Without stabilisation at that focal length, you'd need a shutter speed at least 1/250 to eliminate camera shake or at least 1/30 with a 3-stop stabiliser.

Your shutter of 1/60 is getting close to this limit, so I'd advise a faster shutter to completely eliminate camera shake. But that's for a stationary subject.

Since you're photographing wildlife which are in almost constant motion, you'd really want a much faster speed still - maybe 1/250 as a minimum to avoid motion blur.

This will need more light, so if you leave the ISO at, say, 400, then the camera will need to open the aperture, thereby reducing your depth of field and making your focusing even more critical. If you want f8 or greater under the same light with a faster shutter speed, you'll need to increase the ISO and accept a reduction in quality.

It's all about compromises!

I'd say when using this lens, especially for wildlife, try to use much faster shutter speeds, and just practice with the focus. You will need to be much more careful than with a P&S which inherently have a much greater depth fo field.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:43 pm 
Ok Gordon, I understand what you're saying. I took several shots at ISO 800 (nothing higher) and at 200, and mostly went for 0 EV at the aperture setting I was using (usually f8 ). There was little direct sunlight, which certainly makes a difference, but I expected better. I like the lens and don't want to give up on it, so if you think it's working properly, I'll try again when there's better light. Thanks

P.S. What about all that purple? Is that normal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:29 am 

The purple toning is almost certainly a WB issue. Try setting it to "Cloudy" and see how that looks. I use that setting pretty much all the time.

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head