Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hmmm .. Confused
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:03 pm 
Right.. :shock:

I have bought the D40x, with 18-55mm and 55-200mm vr.

Will my lenses worth on the forth-coming Nikon bodies? If i decide to upgrade etc.

Also a friend of mine has the D70, and i like the bigger body..

I really like the D80. Do you think i could pick up a D80 with kit lense for around $900? or trade back my D40x 2 lenses for a D80 and lense., Or should i stick with the D40x :?

Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:27 pm 

No problem, Jay, with your exisiting lenses: They will work fine on new Nikon-bodies, except on FX-bodies, where they only fill the DX-part of the sensor (i.e. 5MPix on the new D3)
Nevertheless at the mo I would not upgrade from the D40x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:54 pm 

I'd like to echo what Thomas said, stick with the D40x.

Apart from the body feeling better, is there any other reason why you would want to leave the D40x?

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:21 pm 
Thanks guys

Well Daniel, other reasons are the limited AF., I'd Like maybe to use some of the other older lenses (which i know the d40 will not focus with).
etc etc

Also i really like the fell and weight of the D70 & D80 8) 8)

So i'll have a think about it!

Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:27 pm 
How long have you had the D40x for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:45 pm 
Jay1, I have had my D40 since July 7th and I am getting a D80 body in like 2-3 weeks. I also like the feel of a bigger body and I just was tired of not having internal AF, so I plan to get some primes as soon as I get my body. The higher res. is cool, secondary screen is another thing I really wanted, and of course the build is a bit better and I can get a MB-D80 battery grip for a couple thousand shots per charge.

Aswell as better AF and larger viewfinder, but I would say go for it. I think you should get the camera that feels right to you, and I know you can get a D70 with 18-70mm lens with all original packaging and stuff for like $700 on craigslist.com so I say ditch the D40X and lenses and get a D70/18-70mm/SB-600/ and when you save up some more cash maybe a few primes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:11 pm 
Right well some updated news :shock:

Yes i know i only made this topic this morning!!! (hehehe)

I now have coming, the Nikon D80 body, will be keeping the, 18-55 + 55-200mm vr

Yes Nathan, i really liked the bigger body and added weight. The D40x was too light for me and as i have big hands it was a tad to small too.
Holding the D80 just seems you have a serious pice of kit in your hands:)!

Buzzing guys!! 8) 8)

Cheers a bunch for all your help

Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:42 am 
Hey guys. My uncle is keeping hold of the D40x for himself now hehe :P .

He is bringing the D80 over at Christmas for mua :D

I think i'll probably be going for the D80 + Nikkor 18-70mm lense + maybe the battery grip.

What are your guys views on the 18-70mm? from personal use.

Thanks

Jay

Post subject: Moved
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:09 am 

Hi jay1,

I think that as this thread is Nikon specific you will get a better response to your question here so I've moved it. Hope you don't mind.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:06 am 
jay1 wrote:
\What are your guys views on the 18-70mm? from personal use.

Well you can check out Gordon's awesome review here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikkor_kit_lens_group_test/

As for my opinon, it's a sturdy and bright overall lens, also get along with my 70-300mm AF-D perfectly.

Hope this helps! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:16 pm 
Cheers Bob for moving it.

Fearless leader, ive seen the review 8) seems a well built, good performing lense!

Ive decided on the 18-70mm nikkor and a tamron 70-300mm macro! :D

Thanks for all your inputs.

Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:51 pm 
Your welcome Jay1,

I also have used a Tamron 75-300mm it is also a awesome, sharp, and light lens, but it doesn't have IS so you'll have to be careful for those slow shutter speeds.

Keep me posted! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:38 pm 
Quote:
jay1 wrote:
\What are your guys views on the 18-70mm? from personal use.

Well, I've had the D80 and the 18-70mm for about 5 months and shot around 7.000 pics with it. In terms of build and image quality I think the lens is fine, but I wouldn't wanna buy anything below that. I must point out that the wide focal lengths (and marks) are crunched together, making it harder to set the composition precisely when zoomed out. I would have liked an even scale.

AND it wasn't long after I got the kit, that I began missing that extra reach. So I recently got a used AF Nikkor 70-210mm 1:4-5.6D. Works fine and focuses almost as fast as an AF-S.

But I wish I had got the 18-200 VR from the beginning, because of the convenience of 11x zoom, the stabilization and minimizing the risk of dust getting into the camera ... if I stop down to f/20-22, I can see plenty of black spots and specks. I will soon have to deal with cleaning my D80 or let some technician do it ...

Of course the 18-70 is cheap when you get it as a kit lens, but if your going to invest money in a non-Nikon brand on top, then I wouldn't hesitate and take the big plunge with the 18-200 VR! - I think there's just to much inconvenience always having to bring multiple lenses or deciding beforehand if you wanna shoot wide or tele, AND the lens changing hassle.
Just imagine what I have to go through everyday exercising my hobby!! :D

Hopefully helpful ...
[/quote]