Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:14 am 
i currently using the D80 and wanna upgrade to either D90 or D300. Since i have noticed that the IQ between D90 and D300 isnt much different. My question is that whether or not the D300's max shutter speed bring me benefit? My shooting style is more in Land scape and portrait.

And how can I compensate it with a 1/4000 body to achieve 1/8000 like picture?? Are you using the shutter speed 1/4000 and above frequently??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:59 am 
Hi thuanotago,

When I use my 11-16 Tokina wide-angle lens at F2.8 on a sunny day, I am often limited by the 1/4000sec exposure limit. It will often force me to close the aperture a stop, to compensate.

The same is the case with my F1.8 500 lens as well.

As for the D300/D90 comparison, I agree with you. The inherent/technical image quality between the two..well there really isn't any.

The D300's 51 AF points and it's superb 3D tracking makes very good for shooting moving objects and keep them in focus at the same time - which is coupled with it's fast continuous shooting. But if that kinda shooting isn't something you do all the time, then it's probably not that big of a deal.

The D90 on other other hand, offers video-mode which can be quite handy for some situations.

For hauling around all day, the D300 is somewhat heavier, but also more sturdy and solid and can "take a beating".

All in all - unless there is a specific feature of the D300 you "must have", there really is not compelling reason to spend 5-600$ more on the D300.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:32 am 
LahLahSr wrote:
Hi thuanotago,

When I use my 11-16 Tokina wide-angle lens at F2.8 on a sunny day, I am often limited by the 1/4000sec exposure limit. It will often force me to close the aperture a stop, to compensate.

The same is the case with my F1.8 500 lens as well.

As for the D300/D90 comparison, I agree with you. The inherent/technical image quality between the two..well there really isn't any.

The D300's 51 AF points and it's superb 3D tracking makes very good for shooting moving objects and keep them in focus at the same time - which is coupled with it's fast continuous shooting. But if that kinda shooting isn't something you do all the time, then it's probably not that big of a deal.

The D90 on other other hand, offers video-mode which can be quite handy for some situations.

For hauling around all day, the D300 is somewhat heavier, but also more sturdy and solid and can "take a beating".

All in all - unless there is a specific feature of the D300 you "must have", there really is not compelling reason to spend 5-600$ more on the D300.

Cheers :-)

Why would you use a super wide angle lens, wide open? I mean I know there is SOME bokeh and dof if you are really close to the subject, but still :?

For other lenses, like your 50 1.8, I understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:38 am 
I guess when you, as mentioned, use a large aperture a sunny day, even f/3.5 in my basic 18 - 105 can be limited to 1/4000, even if I (of course) don't point it at the sun.
I guess that you will be limited to a bit smaller aperture, if its a very bright day. Still those moments are rare and the only downside is the (maybe not wanted) larger depth of field caused bu smaller aperture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:06 am 
It depends on your Style of photography.

I, for example would never buy a camera which can only do 1/4000th of a sec, because running arounf with f2.8 and f1.8 lenses wide open, even on sunny days, there are scenes where even my D1x with it's superfast 1/16000th of second isn't fast enough!

If you are using mostly apertures arounf f4 and upwards, there shouldn't be a problem with 1/4000th as maximum shutter speed!

The differences, why I would want a D90 and would buy a D300 insteat, are:

- huge viewfinder
- weathersealed body
- full meter with manual lenses
- fast and accurat tracking Autofokus
- pro build quality

But as always and as said before, it all depends on the style of ones photography!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:58 am 
hi guys! many thanks to your replies. I have ordered a D300 already. Wow, im so excited now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:14 am 
i shoot weddings...

sometimes something'll happen outside where it's bright, I like my aperture as wide as possible to minimize distractions. that extra 1/4000 can make a huge difference.

i had a similar discussion last week through facebook with some of the photographers here, while they are right that you can use an ND filter, event photography calls for you to be ready for the shot exactly when it happens and many times you won't have time to dig through your bag for a filter and screw it in.

for this reason I use a d200 for outdoors and the d90 for indoors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:24 am 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:

Why would you use a super wide angle lens, wide open? I mean I know there is SOME bokeh and dof if you are really close to the subject, but still :?

For other lenses, like your 50 1.8, I understand.

Hey Gregory,

I actually got this lens mostly as a portrait lens...or rather: the reason I bought it was mainly for people-images. Ad it's for that I use F2.8 and get at close as I can..only problem is that it needs little more than a foot of distance to focus.

It is of course also a fantastic landscape/scenery lens and I'm definitely stopping that baby down some for that :-)

Cheers!